Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec to VN/VP

DanWA

Burnout.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
Does anyone have a diagram to show what pinouts i need to change to make a series 1 vn body plug work with a vs ecu with t5 memcal?

HICOMPVN

Wanting That Lil Bit More
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR SII Commodore
Cant use VS ECU in a VN, (unless you have full conversion, re: motor, box, comp's & looms),
motor has to run on the VN ECU.
can help if need be

DanWA

Burnout.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
Replied to your PM mate

It was running the VN ECU/Loom, engine is broken... i now want to run the VS Loom/ECU with the new engine (VT) using the VS inlet and aircon.

HICOMPVN

Wanting That Lil Bit More
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR SII Commodore
well that will be a complete swap, no swapping pins on plugs.

pcher3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S manual
I have just seen this post and I know it's quite old. Can someone please help me. I have a ecotec running on a Vn ecu and loom. Do I need the know sensors connected ? Thank you

pipzryd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8 + 98 Jackaroo 3L TDi
talked to my mate a while ago the plug on the gear box was damaged its running now he reckons it does high 12's..

dirt road devil

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Series 2 executive Wagon V6 auto
Well I know this post is quiet old now! However after seeing this I'm VERY keen to replace my worn engine with an ecotec engine due to the old buick's are getting very hard to find in a usable condition ($2500 to have reconditioned in Tamworth NSW).
so I'm asking everyone IF I were to get a second hand VT ecotec and follow the instructions, will I end up with a registrable vehicle afterwards. I love the look and style of my old VP wagon and it would be a shame to send it to a wrecker.
Has anyone had a problem registering their's after this conversion?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Well I know this post is quiet old now! However after seeing this I'm VERY keen to replace my worn engine with an ecotec engine due to the old buick's are getting very hard to find in a usable condition ($2500 to have reconditioned in Tamworth NSW).
so I'm asking everyone IF I were to get a second hand VT ecotec and follow the instructions, will I end up with a registrable vehicle afterwards. I love the look and style of my old VP wagon and it would be a shame to send it to a wrecker.
Has anyone had a problem registering their's after this conversion?

Technically it's not really changing the engine, just updating it.
Same manufacturer (GM), same configuration (V6), same capacity (3.8), same fuel type, bolt in swap with the same mounting points (No fabrication/engineering) and a slight change in power gain but not enough to cause any problems at all.

v8luver64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais v6
I'm using this info in a different way, I'm building a street stock and the class I'm running states that any commodore after VP must use a VN/VP computer and mine is a VS so I need to get the ecotec to run on the VN ECU

WreckWren

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I'm not sure why there are so many steps in the OP.

I just got done putting an emotec and a getrag in a VP. VATS delete memcal was all it took.

The only problems I have are slightly high idle and a battery draw somewhere.