Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec: Tri-y's vs 4-into-1, also no cat q

jhawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VS track car (in progress)
Hi guys

I've been browsing this forum for quite a while, haven't posted much yet. Awesome forum I have to say, been very helpful with quite a few things so far!

Just wondering if anyone's able to give firm advice on Tri-y headers vs 4-into-1 for my VT V6. I've been told (and from browsing the net) that Tri-y's will be better for lowdown torque - is this correct? More torque is definitely what I'm after, but you guys mostly have good things to say about the Pacemaker headers as well. Also, is either design going to have any impact on how it sounds?

My other question is regarding exhaust size. Being in NZ, I don't have to run a catalytic converter. I note that the general recommendation is to run a 2.5" system, but I assume this takes into account the extra back-pressure created by a cat. Does this mean I should consider running a 2.25 system instead of a 2.5 to account for not having a cat?

cheers heaps

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
ummm 4 into 1's??? on a v6?? maybe im not correct but wouldn't that be 3 into 1's?

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
On the V6s your only options are pretty much only primary and collector size, larger diameters means more top end, that's about it. :)

2.5" will be fine, but without a cat maybe go for the dual muffler type.