Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec V6 firing order/plug lead order.

innthetropics

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ute
Hey guys need help with my ute.. it had a rough idle (only) so i went and got new plugs (ngk) and plug leads (topgun) changed them over 3 at a time (could be the reason) why when putting the foot down. it splatters and then takes off like a sling shot. idles better then ever but how could this be worse then when i started?

Can anyone tell me the spark plug lead order like... left side 2,4,6 right side 1,3,5 from the front to back. so i can double check that it is right.

(2001 VU series 2 ute)

Thanks.

DVS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6
As follows

6 --- 5
4 --- 3
2 --- 1

coil pack

6,3 2,5 4,1

Hope that makes sense :)

innthetropics

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ute
Thanks mate, i have checked that the leads are in the correct order now but now i need a good explanation on why the engine had a ruff idle and had clean fast acceleration now after changing the spark plugs and leads now has a clean idle and an interrupted (dirty) acceleration.

Pazman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Ecotech firing order

Mate, as always it could be a few things; if not more:)
I know it souds stupid, but make sure your leads have "clicked in" at both ends.
your coil packs could be ratshit as well, or maybe just one of them. this may have been your problem to begin with and changing the leads and plugs may merely have changed the appearance of the problem. That has happened to me before, and i did exactly what you did, with similar results only to find it was a coil pack.
Hope this helps.

VTdriver99

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Vt Executive
stupid question here, are all the even numbers on the drivers side and the odd on the passengers?

VTasty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
i had the same problem, get a new coil pack, problem solved.
the coil pack is fragile, don't be rough with it.

car0010

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive 5 speed manual
:/

Hey having a similar problem I changed the plugs coils pack cam angle and crank angle sensor and computer and it's idling rough missing and hates taking off any sugestions