Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec V6 firing order/plug lead order.

tomo955

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk sadan vr sadan and wagon
Thanks mate, i have checked that the leads are in the correct order now but now i need a good explanation on why the engine had a ruff idle and had clean fast acceleration now after changing the spark plugs and leads now has a clean idle and an interrupted (dirty) acceleration.

the reason for the twin coil pack is for each compensating cylinder, when one cylinder is at TDC sparking (9-10volts) on the power stroke its compensating cylinder is also up and sparking on the exhaust stroke (3-4volts) to burn any unburnt fuel, so if its compensating plug is damaged or not correctly gaped 2 cylinders with not fire or misfire causing rough idle, hope this might help :) if not other possibilities clean throttle body, change trans fluid and filter, check fuel

3N1GM4

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais
I changed the plugs n leads in my vt calais ecotec last night to ngk plugs and top gun max 300 ignition leads (not sure about the mm's, anyone know?) and durin the process my mate dropped a coil pack onto the concrete ground so now when i floor it it gets to around 60 then splutters, i thought i might have the leads in the wrong order but according to this thread thays right so im gueesin its the coil pack, right?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Why remove the coilpacks to replace plugs and leads ? If the casing is cracked its dead.

kats

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ute
as a new commodore owner I was really annoyed that I had to take the manifold off to change my plugs..what a stupid design..on a brighter not car is running brilliantly now and im so glad I didnt pay the $1000 I was quoted to change plugs and coil packs..

3N1GM4

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais
It just made it that little bit easier to swap the leads

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I changed the plugs n leads in my vt calais ecotec last night to ngk plugs and top gun max 300 ignition leads (not sure about the mm's, anyone know?) and durin the process my mate dropped a coil pack onto the concrete ground so now when i floor it it gets to around 60 then splutters, i thought i might have the leads in the wrong order but according to this thread thays right so im gueesin its the coil pack, right?

Yeah I'd go with the coil pack if now FUBAR. Trust me on this, if you get the leads mixed up, the car won't get to 60. I got 4 and 6 mixed up in the dark once, damn the noise was hideous.

as a new commodore owner I was really annoyed that I had to take the manifold off to change my plugs..what a stupid design..on a brighter not car is running brilliantly now and im so glad I didnt pay the $1000 I was quoted to change plugs and coil packs..

If you think removing the manifold is hard (and its not), try working on some of the Jap 4-cylinder jobs, make me want to punch something. Seriously some cars you need a shoehorn just to get your spanner in the engine bay. I'm looking at you , brothers Tarago.

Hugh Pearson

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina v6
Not an expert, but... I had an error code saying my O2 left sensor was dodgy, and since then the economy has been awful and the idle rough. If the O2 sensors are not working, the fuel system runs "open loop"...meaning there is no real world feedback from the oxygen sensors in each exhaust pipe... normally the sensor measures the mixture, converts this to a voltage, and feeds it to the computer which then compares this to an internal reference, and 'decides' if there is too much or too little fuel and adjusts the injector spurt accordingly. Without that voltage it's providing fuel by guesswork...there's no loop to keep it in the 'zone' so to speak. Oxygen sensors are pretty easy to get at, and cost about $60 at Bursons. I've not changed mine yet, because I am first waiting to see if the ENGINE I just changed is worth the extra expense.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Not an expert, but... I had an error code saying my O2 left sensor was dodgy, and since then the economy has been awful and the idle rough. If the O2 sensors are not working, the fuel system runs "open loop"...meaning there is no real world feedback from the oxygen sensors in each exhaust pipe... normally the sensor measures the mixture, converts this to a voltage, and feeds it to the computer which then compares this to an internal reference, and 'decides' if there is too much or too little fuel and adjusts the injector spurt accordingly. Without that voltage it's providing fuel by guesswork...there's no loop to keep it in the 'zone' so to speak. Oxygen sensors are pretty easy to get at, and cost about $60 at Bursons. I've not changed mine yet, because I am first waiting to see if the ENGINE I just changed is worth the extra expense.

You knew this thread was 6 months old, right?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Don't you mean 18 months?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina