Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] Ecotec V6 gilmer belt?

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
Hey Guys,

I have a V6 Ecotec VT and i want that whining sound from a gilmer belt. I have seen some videos of 5L engines and read some old threads saying that the belts don't exist or cost alot of money to custom make?

Wondering if anyone know how much it would cost to make or if someone does sell them? Keen for that sound :boxing:

Thanks for any advise you can give me.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
ARGH.

Why?

You want to spend money on something that will purely do nothing but make a whining sound...?

There is absolutely no advantage/practicality in running a gilmer kit on an Ecotec because it runs a Serpentine Belt system. It has it's uses on older motors because of their different drive belts.

On an Ecotec, sorry mate, your daft.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
I am in agreeance with Hama.. Unless your wallet is very deep (and if it is you can post it to me ;)) then it isnt worth it.. Go the real SC whine or none at all...

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
ARGH.

Why?

You want to spend money on something that will purely do nothing but make a whining sound...?

There is absolutely no advantage/practicality in running a gilmer kit on an Ecotec because it runs a Serpentine Belt system. It has it's uses on older motors because of their different drive belts.

On an Ecotec, sorry mate, your daft.

Why? I said that i am looking for the nice whining noise from the engine because i love that sound.
You didn't give me advice on what I asked and instead called me 'daft'. Thanks for your help mate... can anyone actually help me and not abuse me for my question?

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
I am in agreeance with Hama.. Unless your wallet is very deep (and if it is you can post it to me ;)) then it isnt worth it.. Go the real SC whine or none at all...

On P's for the next 2 years, cant charge anything. Also people say it's expensive, anyone actually got a price? closest i've heard is 'expensive' and no amount of money has been mentioned.

cheers

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
There's a word for people like you.

Ricer.

You want that whining noise, poor sand in the timing cover.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Why? I said that i am looking for the nice whining noise from the engine because i love that sound.
You didn't give me advice on what I asked and instead called me 'daft'. Thanks for your help mate... can anyone actually help me and not abuse me for my question?

I'm trying to help you understand the practicality of your question.

I gave you advice, but not what you wanted to hear. It's like putting an electronic blow off valve on your exhaust.

Other than the fact that you want your car to sound good (I admit Gilmer drive's sound good, on V8's - on an applicable setup) - the question is, why would you bother runnning a Gilmer kit when the Ecotec has a fairly advanced and suitable belt system as it is. A Gilmer will do nothing but limit the practicality and options of your drive belt.

If you want an answer, it CAN be done (question is WHY again, whilst getting rid of possibly your alternator, A/C etc etc etc. Probably cost at least $1,500 or north of it.

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
sick of arseholes thinking their thought of how a car should be is the way everyone should have their cars. I'm just asking a question, not your abuse. Be helpful or gtfo.

cheers

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Or drill holes in the alternator fan...

No one has a price because it is ridiculous to look into it, you are looking at custom machine work, so go and see a machine shop about it..

Alternately you could mount a speaker in the bay with a loud whine...

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
What you're doing is replacing one $40 belt with another $200 belt FOR NO REASON WHAT SO EVER.

Its clinically retarded.
So of course people are going to tell you you're a twit for doing it.
Its not a good idea, its not cool and it wont sound good. Its sad.