Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec V6 mods & info..... "PLEASE HELP"

tyebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Hi, So..... the story goes like this.

Ive got a project car in the shed atm. Ive decided to run the 99 ecotec in it out of a VT commodore.

My plans are to change the cams, run e85.... and this is where it stops! i need more info on what i can do to it to get good power out of it! i know the obvious... charger or turbo.... but what mods can i do b4 i go down that road? The engine is going in a stripped out TF gemini, thats light as a feather! so im looking to achieve around 300HP+

Any ideas?????

Also, to run E85, what exactly do i need to change? pump, injectors, lines etc.... and what pump and injectors should i be running?

All info will be appreciated.

Tye

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
How much U looking to spend? Getting big figures out of ecotec is costly NA, but doable.. Ur better of going straight to FI for about the same price if not a bit cheaper with better hp figures.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Cam + E85 won't get you anywhere near 300HP.

Fuel pump Walbro 400Lph E85 pump
Injectors 42Lb would be suffice for a NA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
I would recommend skipping NA and go straight to forced induction too :spot on:
Either a L67 Supercharged with the M90 (Mace engineering, see the forum sponsor section. Steve has everything you'll need.)
or if you already have the VT Ecotec motor - Turbo it. 10-14psi on a stock motor with a good tune should keep you happy.
Hopefully you're onto it to be able to do most of the work yourself, otherwise whatever you do will cost $$
There's plenty of threads already here - use Google search window, top right of this page.

But if you want to go NA.. 300hp isn't just simple boltons.
It'll need head work ($700-1500), a custom cam (Google 'Cam tech' I use a similar solid roller profile to one of theirs, it's pretty grumpy in traffic and thirsty too!), stiffer valve springs (possibly tougher stainless valves), chromemoly/hardened different length pushrods/adjustable rockers, dual row timing set, antipump (OE-R) lifters or in my case solid roller lifters.. basically a full $$ rebuild and balance.
To make the most of the high octane E85 has, you'll need to up the compression ratio by a reasonable amount (12-13:1 ?).
You can shave the heads and go MLS (thinner) head gaskets for probably 10.5-11:1 C/R, above that the stock pistons won't last too long and you'll need to go to forged pistons. The cost of which, you may as well build the motor for high boost.
If you are going to rebuild the motor, you should decide which way for power you're going to go before you start.
They all use different cam profiles. I read somewhere once, the cam is the heart of the engine - the build is based around what profile you choose.
For best results; NA uses big angry cams and needs high compression (10:1+ C/R), where Supercharged & turbo works best with low compression (8-8.5:1 C/R for 15-30psi.. or more) which will require different pistons.
And yep, the right sized injectors, supporting fuel pump.. beefed up trans, diff ratio, exhaust.. probably most important a good brake upgrade and suspension!

My 2cents.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
Actually the most import question would be: What are you intending to do with the car?

ie, is it going to be used for commuting - tuned urban camouflage, or a weekend cruiser, or a off road skid beast, Drag car, circuit racer, or drift?

Last edited:

tyebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Actually the most import question would be: What are you intending to do with the car?

ie, is it going to be used for commuting - tuned urban camouflage, or a weekend cruiser, or a off road skid beast, Drag car, circuit racer, or drift?

Thanx for all the info guys! The car is going to be nothing but a drag car..... Fully stripped gemini with nothing but a cage and single seat inside..... I've already gota whole complete vt commo that I'm ripping the engine out of and I'm planning to put a powerglide behind the ecotec. So as u can imagine, she'll be slot lighter than a stock commo is! So call me a noob if u will for this comment, but what if I go down the line if nos?

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Ya can get 240 with stock heads and manifolds on a stock vn computer (yes ecotec) so ya should be able to get pretty close to 300 with allowing it to breath with some head and manifold porting and set of tractors and a aftermarket computer allowing a better tune to suit.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
300hp is fairly do-able n/a with a ecotec but it's going to require a fair bit of work, more then just a simple cam. There is another user on the forum who has passed the 200rwkw n/a mark but's not really a daily driver any more (not that that would be a problem for you).

Otherwise you want to do something similar like this http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/mace-engineering/164956-513rwkw-v6.html

I like the idea of E85 though will allow you to run either mega boost FI or lots of compression if you stay n/a.

HICOMPVN

Wanting That Lil Bit More
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR SII Commodore
E 85 will eat out all your fuel line seals, etc!!!