Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec v6 single two stage cooling fan

Holdenmadd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS ute v6 auto
I have a question/problem with my cooling fans wiring harness plug. I have replaced the original fan for another as my fan was destroyed in a crash. To remove the original fan I had to cut the radiator panel out with the radiator and also the wiring. Now all I have is the male plug on the replacement fan, no female plug. What I need is a picture or a description of the male and female plugs and which wires mate up with on both plugs.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Refer to the wiring diagram in the attached document. It may (or may not) be what you are after.

Attachments

• VS Electric Cooling Fan.pdf
    368.5 KB · Views: 362

Holdenmadd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS ute v6 auto
Ok cool, that's some good info and a good read up on how the system operates. My main concern is the four wires coming out of the fan motor, there is:-- one black wire, one green, one yellow and one blue wire.. of the four wires which of the two are negative......would it be the black and the green wires and the two positive wires being the blue and yellow wires? From what I have just red that would be my understanding of the kafaffle.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Go wreckers chop loom off same model wreck..did that for vs thermofan into vp ute.

Just remember colour codes not being correct or done weirdly was just easier to get loom from wreck to make it work.

Holdenmadd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS ute v6 auto
Go wreckers chop loom off same model wreck..did that for vs thermofan into vp ute.

Just remember colour codes not being correct or done weirdly was just easier to get loom from wreck to make it work.
Yeah you go alright, that's a good idea. Thanks boy.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The wire colours you describe look like they are more appropriate for a VT twin fan system rather than a VS single two-speed fan. Check out the diagram below:

1619423467431.png

Holdenmadd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS ute v6 auto
Ok. I just happen to have a VT twin fan sitting in front of me and the wiring sequence appears to be the same. There is two negative wires (black) and two positive wires ( blue) and they plug into another short harness with two plugs at the other end, one with yellow and black wires that mate up with the negative wires coming out of the fan motors. The other plug must be the positive plug, one green wire one blue wire that mate up with the blue wires out of the fan motor. So the system is constantly connected to negative and when the cooling fan is summoned to duty the positive side is activated through the relays. In saying that, no wiring harness is either identical to a schematics or another car of the same model. I hope I that right and it hasn't confused you but I think I have just answered my query. I will certainly be putting that to the test.

Holdenmadd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS ute v6 auto
Here is the VT fan I was just talking about. I got it for my other ute and although the shroud is a bit wider than the VS I will Google something up so it does fit.