Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec V6 Speedway car trouble.

brizto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0lt Calais and(VH Commy with ecotec speedway)
Hi, i`ve got a Vh commodore speedway car running a ecotec V6 with a 3 speed manual.
I`m having major problems with it and was wondering if anyone could help me out?
The problem i`m having is the engine starts and goes really good for a few minutes then starts spluttering and eventually just stalls
and is really hard to start again. When i eventually get it going again it idles for about 20 seconds then dies again.
it is a stock engine as far as i know and is running the vs ecotec computer in it.
I have tried googling the problem but no luck.
VH_V61.jpg

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
crank angle sensor is a possible suspect.when it stalls and wont start tip a bottle of cold water on it and see if it starts.its behind the balancer on the passenger side

brizto

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks delcowizzid, i tried that but it didnt work, there is another saensor on the otherside of the crank that doesnt have anything connected to it as well, also i noticed it smells like fuel really bad when it stalls.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Does it stay running when U hold the accel pearl down? As in not relying on the iac for idle

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
thanks delcowizzid, i tried that but it didnt work, there is another saensor on the otherside of the crank that doesnt have anything connected to it as well, also i noticed it smells like fuel really bad when it stalls.

Above and slightly to the left of the balancer would be the cam angle sensor.

Seems strange that this is not connected as it won't run properly without it (VS runs full sequential injection). Without it connected it'll revert back to back fire, not run as well and it should also throw a fault code (do you have an engine check light fitted)?

brizto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah but i can only just touch the pedal but it still ends up dying out after a about a min.

brizto

Reaction score
Members Ride
that doesnt have a plug connected to it, i think its cut off coz i cant find one to plug into it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Can you see the PCM mounted in the car?

If so post the number(s) on it so we can see what is been used.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Hi, i`ve got a Vh commodore speedway car running a ecotec V6 with a 3 speed manual.
I`m having major problems with it and was wondering if anyone could help me out?
The problem i`m having is the engine starts and goes really good for a few minutes then starts spluttering and eventually just stalls
and is really hard to start again. When i eventually get it going again it idles for about 20 seconds then dies again.
it is a stock engine as far as i know and is running the vs ecotec computer in it.
I have tried googling the problem but no luck.
View attachment 172360

Coolant temp sensor could be an issue making it over rich once coolant warms up a tad where it should be heading leaner. Like the others said, ecu number would help and I'm guessing someones fiddled with the tune at some time or other so may have a point to follow up there