Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec v6 stroker???? 4.2..

Bridga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 UTE.
Come racing are releasing a stroker kit for the ecotec v6 i saw this on there web site if any one knows any more info on this topic please help becauise i think its great news for the v6 guys out there. comeracing.com.au

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Yeah, beckham (l think thats his name) stroked his VN to a 4.1 littre, these stroker kits take our ecotec up to 4.2L I heard they're going to cost abit, $2500 for the stroker, then l believe you need to have the engine basically rebuilt, cam to suit... looking at $6000 to $7000!!

Last edited:
T

Twin_Bangerz

2_SeeK_U said:
Yeah, beckham (l think thats his name) stroked his VN to a 4.1 littre, these stroker kits take our ecotec up to 4.2L I heard they're going to cost abit, $2500 for the stroker, then l believe you need to have the engine basically rebuilt, cam to suit... looking at $6000 to $7000!!

No way! I love the "P" but I wouldn't spend that much on anything but a body kit and nice rims.

Locksmiff

Reaction score
2_SeeK_U said:
Yeah, beckham (l think thats his name) stroked his VN to a 4.1 littre, these stroker kits take our ecotec up to 4.2L
I think you will find its the other way around and 4.3, or close to it.

The ecotec will never match a buick blocked stokers capacity. It will always sit a fraction less. The rings will pop off on the down stroke if you tried for anymore

G

Geoffro

In the states, Buicks come in 3.8L and 4.1L V6s. 4.2L are Chev. I think the 4.1L appeared with the EV6 Block. It was an alternate to SC or turbos for higher power. Pontiac Fiero had the turbo in 86. Buick Grand Nationals got SCs a year later. Don't know what changes were done to balance shaft or pistons. You can get a fully rebuilt 4.1L for under US$1400, all you have to do is get it here. Forget the 4.2L. Different block, has distibutor on front, uses TBI.

When comparing the Ausie engines remember US models are a year or two in front of us (Aus). The yanks had the "new" alloy V6 2 years ago.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Geoffro said:
In the states, Buicks come in 3.8L and 4.1L V6s. 4.2L are Chev. I think the 4.1L appeared with the EV6 Block. It was an alternate to SC or turbos for higher power. Pontiac Fiero had the turbo in 86. Buick Grand Nationals got SCs a year later. Don't know what changes were done to balance shaft or pistons. You can get a fully rebuilt 4.1L for under US$1400, all you have to do is get it here. Forget the 4.2L. Different block, has distibutor on front, uses TBI.

When comparing the Ausie engines remember US models are a year or two in front of us (Aus). The yanks had the "new" alloy V6 2 years ago.

Actually you have it around the wrong way. The Chev is a 4.3L and is totally unrelated to the Buick V6. Dale Bickham’s stroker V6 isn’t a Chev either.

The old 4.1L Buick’s were only offered in the 80’s. They stopped when Buick went for the then new 3800’s (which were eventually fitted to our VN’s and later). There was never a 4.1L derivative of the V6 found in the commodores, and there wasn’t a turbo version either. There was a supercharged version though, but we only ever got any of the Supercharged versions in our VS and later models. The old turbo Buick’s also died in the late 80’s. Grand National’s were the last factory turbo Buick V6’s and they ended in 1987 (or 1989 for the Turbo Trans Am.) You simply can’t get 4.1’s in Australia either, unless it’s an old 80’s model.

The new strokers from COME are supposed to be for the ECOTEC engines. But I’ve heard from people who have heard from other people (you know how it goes) that COME are looking into a kit for the VN-VR V6’s too. Bickham’s stroker isn’t a COME stroker by the way. It uses a bradey crank which has been out for a few years.

Well this is just a few facts a mate who happens to be an absolute guru when it comes to v6s offered me. Hopefully this has helped clear up a few things, and taught you something new as it has 4 me. :)

shwarno

Shwarnostics!
Reaction score
Website
www.dirtydepo.piczo.com
Members Ride
VS Ute S-PACK V6
???

whats the benefits of the extra 3k for the stroker over the already 5k of the cam and rockers. if u read my other forum u'll see what i've done and i got 155rwkw. what added hp can be gained from running a stroker kit in it? i dont think there is anyone within 10 digits of my area code that have one.. would'nt a supercharger be alot more bang for ya buck? i mean even having a car modified the slightest bit while on your p plates in victoria is illegal so why not do somthing worth it? not having a go at people that are PRO stroker but i'm just not seeing the point with them. i'd like to kno what difference it makes from people who HAVE ACTUALY had it done.. not just people that think they know i have 2 friends looking for a stroker kit for the old v6 buik.. let me know

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
whats the benefits of the extra 3k for the stroker over the already 5k of the cam and rockers. if u read my other forum u'll see what i've done and i got 155rwkw. what added hp can be gained from running a stroker kit in it? i dont think there is anyone within 10 digits of my area code that have one.. would'nt a supercharger be alot more bang for ya buck? i mean even having a car modified the slightest bit while on your p plates in victoria is illegal so why not do somthing worth it? not having a go at people that are PRO stroker but i'm just not seeing the point with them. i'd like to kno what difference it makes from people who HAVE ACTUALY had it done.. not just people that think they know i have 2 friends looking for a stroker kit for the old v6 buik.. let me know

hp isnt everything, stroker kits will increase torque.

Stroker Motors Explained - Stroker Engines | FordMuscle.com

have a read of that, yeh its a ford site, but theres a good bit of information there.

and nice 4 year dig there, you've done well.