Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec Vs Alloytec SIDI

Alloytec SIDI vs Ecotec?

• Total voters

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
They DO have a shitload of issues with chains. Early models before chain design revision are pretty well guaranteed to have troubles, and for the later ones it's just luck of the draw.

They're just a poor design. You need to rev them much harder to net the same result as the earlier ecotec. Any mass produced car that needs servicing at 5000km is a joke. They require over 6L of oil for every change, and fully synthetic oil at that. Incredibly inefficient in terms of repair costs (chains, spark plug changes, oil changes and pretty well any other repairs that may be required) due to their design.

Holden REALLY dropped the ball with their decision to run the alloytec. Historically, the engine offerings in commodores were pretty well bulletproof, easy to service, repair and rebuild with little to no special knowledge or tools, AND parts were cheap and accessible. A big, heavy RWD car sold to Aussies who are notoriously hard on their vehicles (not to mention the climate and road conditions) was an incredibly poor move. Sure, 175, 190, 210kw power figures sound good, but torque figures and the rev range they're achieved at is a joke.

Hence the second half of the comment. If you want an absolutely bulletproof engine to mod and aren't willing to go through the dramas of an Alloytec, go with the Ecotec. ;)

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
They DO have a shitload of issues with chains. Early models before chain design revision are pretty well guaranteed to have troubles, and for the later ones it's just luck of the draw.

They're just a poor design. You need to rev them much harder to net the same result as the earlier ecotec. Any mass produced car that needs servicing at 5000km is a joke. They require over 6L of oil for every change, and fully synthetic oil at that. Incredibly inefficient in terms of repair costs (chains, spark plug changes, oil changes and pretty well any other repairs that may be required) due to their design.

Holden REALLY dropped the ball with their decision to run the alloytec. Historically, the engine offerings in commodores were pretty well bulletproof, easy to service, repair and rebuild with little to no special knowledge or tools, AND parts were cheap and accessible. A big, heavy RWD car sold to Aussies who are notoriously hard on their vehicles (not to mention the climate and road conditions) was an incredibly poor move. Sure, 175, 190, 210kw power figures sound good, but torque figures and the rev range they're achieved at is a joke.

Well, way to wake a thread from the dead, lol. I guess the Ghost of GM past never dies.

I think it was emissions that killed the Ecotec. It was kinda on its way out, being based on a ye-olde design from the mid 1980s. I know, it sucks major ass, but if companies don't innovate, they get left behind.

At the same time, it's definitely a rushed idea. I mean, the engine's designed predominantly to be a transverse FWD engine, but considering their financial situation at the time, i think GM had to really cut down its engine lineup to ensure that even more models didn't face the chopping block when the GFC hit. Hence why they've really only got 3 engine lines, the HFV6, their Ecotec 4-pots, and the LS V8s. Sure, they still make 350 chevs for your winga-dinga guys, but they were also making all of Saab's engines, all of Opel's engines, and a whole bunch of other oddball engines (I mean, if you think the HFV6 is bad... anyone remember the Northstar? or the Iron Duke?)

I'd say it was them cobbling together what they could. Lots of shortcuts taken, but I think at least with the LLT we saw GM beginning to get it right. Beginning. Still not a faultless engine.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Executive
Uncle worked on heaps of alloytecs and ecotecs, here is what he said about the alloytecs:
-They have the timing chain stretch issue. (Which was supposed to be fixed in later model’s but can still happen)

There is no upgraded chain for them, you just put a new set in and wait for it to reoccur.

- The crank sensor tone wheel can come loose on the crank!

Meaning you have to replace the crank to fix.

- coolant leaks lead to overheating

- the pvc system sucks which blocks up and is made from plastic pipe which goes brittle and snaps causes high oil consumption

- there coil over plug design seem to fail or partially fail causing funny random misfire problems.

- also the thermostat (an item that should be replaced every so often) is mounted on the back of the engine which requires ant man to replace, or simply remove the transmission.

john10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive ii 5.7L
Hi there fellas,

I am in the market for a new rig and am looking for a 6. I am wondering what your thoughts and opinions are on these engines and what I should get. My mate has an SV6 SIDI Ute and it has a nice amount of power. I have heard people have had problems with the earlier Alloytecs. Are the new ones improved and reliable? I have also heard Ecotecs are usually very reliable and have more usable torque despite being quite a bit slower? I will also be modifying the Car/Ute (what ever I get).

Cheers!
Ecotec is a no brainer, more reliable and cheaper to run. There is also the L67 if you think the standard L36 isn't powerful enough for you

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Don't worry about the law, it only matter if you get caught right?