Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec with l67 top end

AutoSnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 VN S2 Exec Wagon
Hey there,
Just to fill you in quickly I have recently bought a vt v6 with a getrag 5 speed with single mass flywheel and heavy duty clutch.
I have a set of l67 heads in my shed at the moment and have a mate with l67 top end he wants to sell me in his shed.

Now, here is the main question.
I know it's not recommended that I put l67 top end on a l36 but is there any work I can do to the engine to get maximum boost with pretty much doing from cam upwards?
Like get a stage 2 cam, valve springs maybe porting bits and pieces using spacers too?

Im wanting to put around 14-15 pound into it with fairly minimal expense.

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
I would suggest buying a bottom end made for boost if you're going to run big boost, well excess of 10psi anyway. Not saying it can't be done but your 14 or 15 pound with little expense could get expensive. It's the compression that's the main problem.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt

You're gonna need alot of money invested to make that kinda pressure. 'Specially on a standard bottom end.

Also, you'd need to rebuild the M90 to take that.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
You're gonna need alot of money invested to make that kinda pressure. 'Specially on a standard bottom end.

Na ecotecs are cheap.. As are m90's just swap them both out regularly:p

Electrical work, Adelaide all areas.
Pm me.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Na ecotecs are cheap.. As are m90's just swap them both out regularly:p

Pm me.

Oh damn i like your style ;)

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
In all honesty whack it all on tune for e85@ 14psi. And just see what happens.. Most likely youl just need to buy a 300 dollar wrecker motor and a larger pulley in 3 months but WHAT A 3 MONTHS:D

Pm me.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
300/90 = $3.33

For $3.33 a day you can have a ticking time bomb! Thats pretty good value.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Honestly with the right tune, some thick arsed gaskets, e85 and some mechanical sympathy it might be fine..

Depends is it a daily? If so maybe don't listen to me:p

If its a weekend fun car, what's to be lost? Turbo eco boys run 14 psi for years sometimes before any issues arise...

All that being said money is money and unless you grow it on trees or you truly enjoy playing with and ripping cars drive lines apart it may just be worth running 10psi safely and easily with a l67/36 hybrid..

What made u choose 14psi to begin with!?

Pm me.

MACE

Reaction score
Hey there,
Just to fill you in quickly I have recently bought a vt v6 with a getrag 5 speed with single mass flywheel and heavy duty clutch.
I have a set of l67 heads in my shed at the moment and have a mate with l67 top end he wants to sell me in his shed.

Now, here is the main question.
I know it's not recommended that I put l67 top end on a l36 but is there any work I can do to the engine to get maximum boost with pretty much doing from cam upwards?
Like get a stage 2 cam, valve springs maybe porting bits and pieces using spacers too?

Unless you’re planning on getting a custom tune along with intercooling, then I wouldn’t run that much boost. If you stick around the 10psi mark with a cam and tune it will be a nice quick combo :)

Or upgrade to an L67 bottom end, which have beefer crowned pistons standard, and can handle those boost pressures without any problems :) Given that complete L67 engines can be had for around the 1k mark, is certainly an option to consider

As for the M90 blower, short of feeding it a handful of rocks, are a robust supercharger even when spun twice as hard from factory (12,000RPM to 24,000RPM). In the event of them requiring a rebuild, the parts to do the job are a couple of hundred

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Plus the L67 has different compression ratio, con rods and pistons are different, in total by 2mm.
Plus the L67 is a lot stronger.