Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotech in VN

Deathproof

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Stato
Before we go anywhere,let me start by saying Im new to the Commodore/EFI scene,but have fair skills,and a willingness to learn...

Bought this VN that has an ecotech installed and a lot of it is half assed..Trying to get it running now...have tidied up a lot of loose and dodgy wiring,took the speaker cable off and fitted the fusible link etc...
Engine cranks fine and has good spark...seems like it wants to start..
Heres the "how long is a piece of string" questions...
Any thoughts on where to look first?
I pulled the fuel hose and when you turn the key fuel comes out then stops...is this normal? Fuel pump goes fine as I "hotwired" it to check..fuses and relays all seem good...
It has a VS computer and engine harness by the looks of it...do I need a BCM? Could this be the reason I am having pain?Are they matched? Can I source one from the wreckers?
Sorry for all the questions but Im here for advice,I got the wiring diarams from various links using the search function,Im asking a few questions here and have my test light at the ready for the onslaught after work tommorrow..

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Before we go anywhere,let me start by saying Im new to the Commodore/EFI scene,but have fair skills,and a willingness to learn...

Bought this VN that has an ecotech installed and a lot of it is half assed..Trying to get it running now...have tidied up a lot of loose and dodgy wiring,took the speaker cable off and fitted the fusible link etc...
Engine cranks fine and has good spark...seems like it wants to start..
Heres the "how long is a piece of string" questions...
Any thoughts on where to look first?
I pulled the fuel hose and when you turn the key fuel comes out then stops...is this normal? Fuel pump goes fine as I "hotwired" it to check..fuses and relays all seem good...
It has a VS computer and engine harness by the looks of it...do I need a BCM? Could this be the reason I am having pain?Are they matched? Can I source one from the wreckers?
Sorry for all the questions but Im here for advice,I got the wiring diarams from various links using the search function,Im asking a few questions here and have my test light at the ready for the onslaught after work tommorrow..

When the key is switched to ignition, it is normal for the fuel pump to prime for a few seconds, the ECM controls this, once the motor is running it will resume operation.

So you say it has fuel, spark and cranks, theoretically there is nothing stopping it from running so I got no idea on that sorry

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if theres no bcm it wont go unless it has had a chip put in the ecu to turn off the security so it runs without the bcm.

Deathproof

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Stato
So do I need to "match" a BCM or will any VS auto one do the job??

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if you go with a bcm you need keys and key reader and heaps of other stuff as well.has it never been going in the vn

Deathproof

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Stato
if you go with a bcm you need keys and key reader and heaps of other stuff as well.has it never been going in the vn

Yes it has run in there before...well I was shown that it runs but it wasnt for long....Since Ive replaced the fusible link at the battery terminal and tidied up some wiring,the problem started...I did backtrack and bypassed the link etc but still no joy...
Ive since looked under the dash and some of the wiring under there is messy as hell....harness hacked etc,however it would have been like that when I bought it Im tipping...its starting to annoy me a bit...
Plan B is to strip it and sell parts,but I got it cheap and dont want it to beat me...

jdd

Reaction score
You might also have issues with the auto depending on which transmission is fitted.
The VS auto transmission is controlled by the PCM/ECU.
The VN auto is not, although it does rely on the ECU to control the torque convertor lockup.
If the VN auto is still fitted you will lose the ability of the PCM/ECU controlling the torque convertor lockup as this is not compatible with the lockup signal from the VS PCM.
As others have mentioned above, you most likely need a memcal without the security stuff. If you still have the VN auto fitted you probably also need a manual VS memcal rather than the auto one as the PCM will keep flagging errors from the non-existent VS auto.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
its probably all ready running on the VN ecu if they swapped the engine over and used the stock wiring what number is on the ecu 1227808

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
is there another number on it too. is it square or a rectangle ecu