Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

eCrate Motors

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by VS 5.0, Nov 28, 2019.

1. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    With the SEMA unveiling of the E-10 Concept Truck, the way things are heading I would think that the idea of eCrate motors has some legs.

[​IMG]

Thoughts ?

woteva likes this.
  2. Fu Manchu

Fu Manchu Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ V6
    Would love to do something like that.
    Electric conversions are going to be a thing we start doing to commodores and falcons more and more.

Will need a new sub forum.

upload_2019-11-28_17-11-14.jpeg

Where we’re going, we don’t need V8’s.

keith reed and shane_3800 like this.
  3. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    Guy's have been running "motors" not "engines" in cars for years. I saw a 10 second datsun with an electric motor on youtube 10 years ago.

4. keith reed

keith reed Active Member

Members Ride:
    1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
    I have owned v8's for more years than I care to remember and as of the present own three. Electric motors are only going to improve and the fears we have with short range between charge ups will one day be gone. It might not happen for a while but one day the internal combustion may be banned.
    I might well be too old by that stage but it would be a wonderful way to keep our cars on the road. Bring it on.

Fu Manchu likes this.
  5. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    As long as we can still buy oil we will still be able to run 4s, 6s and 8s. Combustion engines are not dependent on petrol. Will cost a bit to run them but the cost of bio fuel might have come right down in 30 years time. I know my bike can run alcohol soon as I like, if I spend the 1000 bucks to have the carbies rejeted along with a dyno tune.

6. Fu Manchu

Fu Manchu Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ V6
    I’m really interested in the HHO set ups. Some bloke here in Perth does them.

I think the point of this thread is not about sticking an electric motor in. It’s about putting a beautiful looking motor in.

A V8 is also a beautiful motor for a multitude of reasons and if you disagree, get f$&ed.

One of the neatest and well put together electric motors I’ve seen is this one,

This bad arse Mercury rolled off the assembly line in 1949. Imagine being the person who did the final check seeing it now in the “future”.

7. Drawnnite

Drawnnite Obviously Unsensible

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    So the question will be.
    Will my electric supercharger help for more power?

But seriously. With an elec motor you don't need a drivetrain. just bang one at each hub and use the rest of the space for batteries.
    Either run them through a variable frequency device or similar and you have a fully variable output.
    And if needed, just design a set up like a diesel/elec train. Engine drives a generator which charges batteries. Easy was to have good range.

8. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    There is a limit on power density. Fuel has a real real high power density plus as it's used it gets lighter. This is why toyota are developing hydrogen fuel cell tech.

9. keith reed

keith reed Active Member

Members Ride:
    1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
    There is a lot to like about hydrogen. A lot better economy, more power, no emissions and no shortage of hydrogen. On the down side it is in it's infancy for cars and competing with electric cars that are a lot further down the track plus at this stage a lot dearer than petrol.
    However it is well worth keeping an eye on those car companies who are developing them. They aren't doing it just for the hell of it.

10. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    I'd be keen as for an electric motor conversion on my '70 Land Rover. It's already a non-original motor, and space is a plenty for fuel cells etc.

Fu Manchu likes this.
  11. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    There is not enough lithium on the planet to make enough batteries for electric cars. Electric cars are going to be a novelty for this reason also like I stated there is a power density limit.
    Fuel cells have been around for 30 years hydrogen pumps are already in place here in Australia, CA in USA has heaps.
    Toyota's hybrid synergy drive is now being used in other cars it allready dwarfs tesla in production numbers so if Toyota starts selling hydrogen fuel cell cars expect in ten years time for them to be as common as hybrid drives which are everywhere now.

If I was you I would invest in hydrogen production companies.

Unlike the Greta climate church I deal in facts. Solar and wind is not going to be useful even with batteries nuclear and geo thermal are the alternatives one has a bad by product and the other requires lot's of transmission loss.

12. Drawnnite

Drawnnite Obviously Unsensible

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    Where I worked I used to maintain a Hydrogen production unit.
    In summary, you need to use a reverse osmosis unit to make pure water and then end up splitting that into its 2 components.
    The power required to actually convert De-Ionised or De-Minralised water into the 2 separate components of H2 and O2 is stupid crazy.
    Let alone the hazards in the production from the chemicals used and the explosive properties. The fact it requires EEHA certifications for the equipment used to store it and monitor it?
    We would have a constant 140amps across 3 phases just to produce about 15 cubic m of hydrogen an hour (the oxy was vented to atmosphere as they didn't need to produce any extra in the place).

If you want to produce that in mass amounts you either need a power plant and batteries to store the power if you do not want to burn fossil fuels to create a "green energy".
    Then lets take into consideration the energy used to create the batteries and solar panels to charge them up. The processes to mine the products and everything else in between.
    The sad reality is, there is no such thing as free energy (ie the Carnot engine principle). So to create the energy you need to burn extra energy from another source.

Oh did I mention that Hydrogen is also stupidly dangerous if items are not looked after correctly? (having been in the chemical and process industry and now moved into the power industry we would get alerts and so forth from explosions and so forth from plants around the world).
    People whinge about mechanics nowadays charging too much.
    Good luck when you find out the cost of all the Hazardous areas items used for H2 specific equipment.

VS_Pete, marty351, lmoengnr and 3 others like this.