Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

eCrate Motors

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
With the SEMA unveiling of the E-10 Concept Truck, the way things are heading I would think that the idea of eCrate motors has some legs.

e10underhood.jpg

Thoughts ?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Would love to do something like that.
Electric conversions are going to be a thing we start doing to commodores and falcons more and more.

Will need a new sub forum.

upload_2019-11-28_17-11-14.jpeg

Where we’re going, we don’t need V8’s.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Guy's have been running "motors" not "engines" in cars for years. I saw a 10 second datsun with an electric motor on youtube 10 years ago.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I have owned v8's for more years than I care to remember and as of the present own three. Electric motors are only going to improve and the fears we have with short range between charge ups will one day be gone. It might not happen for a while but one day the internal combustion may be banned.
I might well be too old by that stage but it would be a wonderful way to keep our cars on the road. Bring it on.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
As long as we can still buy oil we will still be able to run 4s, 6s and 8s. Combustion engines are not dependent on petrol. Will cost a bit to run them but the cost of bio fuel might have come right down in 30 years time. I know my bike can run alcohol soon as I like, if I spend the 1000 bucks to have the carbies rejeted along with a dyno tune.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’m really interested in the HHO set ups. Some bloke here in Perth does them.

I think the point of this thread is not about sticking an electric motor in. It’s about putting a beautiful looking motor in.

A V8 is also a beautiful motor for a multitude of reasons and if you disagree, get f$&ed.

One of the neatest and well put together electric motors I’ve seen is this one,

This bad arse Mercury rolled off the assembly line in 1949. Imagine being the person who did the final check seeing it now in the “future”.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
So the question will be.
Will my electric supercharger help for more power?

But seriously. With an elec motor you don't need a drivetrain. just bang one at each hub and use the rest of the space for batteries.
Either run them through a variable frequency device or similar and you have a fully variable output.
And if needed, just design a set up like a diesel/elec train. Engine drives a generator which charges batteries. Easy was to have good range.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I have owned v8's for more years than I care to remember and as of the present own three. Electric motors are only going to improve and the fears we have with short range between charge ups will one day be gone. It might not happen for a while but one day the internal combustion may be banned.
I might well be too old by that stage but it would be a wonderful way to keep our cars on the road. Bring it on.
There is a limit on power density. Fuel has a real real high power density plus as it's used it gets lighter. This is why toyota are developing hydrogen fuel cell tech.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
There is a limit on power density. Fuel has a real real high power density plus as it's used it gets lighter. This is why toyota are developing hydrogen fuel cell tech.
There is a lot to like about hydrogen. A lot better economy, more power, no emissions and no shortage of hydrogen. On the down side it is in it's infancy for cars and competing with electric cars that are a lot further down the track plus at this stage a lot dearer than petrol.
However it is well worth keeping an eye on those car companies who are developing them. They aren't doing it just for the hell of it.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I'd be keen as for an electric motor conversion on my '70 Land Rover. It's already a non-original motor, and space is a plenty for fuel cells etc.