Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECU cooked or something else?

Snoozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE BERLINA INT
Just finished the reassembly of my ve wagon after replacing the chains.
I disconnected the battery at the beginning of the job about 3 weeks ago, and upon reconnecting for start up everything looked fine. Dash illuminated etc but the date did the Delorian manoeuvre and went back to June 2009...
I hit the key and nothing much happened. Nothing cranked, few lights flashed, few ticking noises and then fizzled out like a flat battery.
I checked the battery and it's throwing just a smidge under 13v. I put the OBD2 on and no codes and connected to the ECU just fine.

Anyone know what's going on?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Tried jump starting it just in case?
I'd try turning it over by hand with a breaker bar first just to check it turns over and isn't jammed.

Snoozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE BERLINA INT
Jumped it at the time but it gave me nothing.

Have now had the charger on for a few hours and showed just over 13v and it started, however it wasn't happy!
I had turned it over by hand a few rotations after assembly without any interference, but it popped and farted for about 30 seconds before slowly coming to a slow stop. OBD2 shows PO300 and now won't crank. faaark!!

Snoozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE BERLINA INT
In addition to the clock/date being wound back a decade, I just noticed the avg fuel consumption on the dash reads 99.9 l/100 and the airbag fault light has come on also.

I'm almost certain now the issue is in the ECU. Will a reset likely fix it given that it's essentially been 'reset' by having the battery disconnected for an extended period?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
once the battery is disconnected for a period of time it will all go back to the start clock/date doing that is normal and average fuel is because its cranked and idled for a minute and stopped without and km done so its at max usage, that code is just the misfire code so check everything make sure its all plugged in properly

Snoozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE BERLINA INT
Interesting on the fuel consumption, but it makes sense I guess.
Something is amiss for sure. I turned the climate control off after noticing it was on at start up. I cranked it again and the fans can back on for a second then switched off. I tried cranking again and then the airbag light came on, so I just walked off....
I'm going to leave charger on overnight and check the connections tomorrow and try again. Hopefully it's something h simple.
Is there a KAM in the VE ECU? Could that have wiped causing it to 'relearn'?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
prob just need a fully charged battery, see what the volts is like when cranking or using load as thats when u will notice if its good or not, these can do odd things when the charge is low