Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECU & custom chips

Marco-EFIVL

Now driving R34 GT-T taxi
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Skyline, R34 GT-T (RB25DET NEO) sedan
Yeah I've been looking at getting more power and maybe *gasp* economy/efficiency, the three things I've been seriously considering are these:

- Hyclones, now has anyone here used em? Do they work as advertised, I'm thinking of installing a pair of them.. Anyone with any experiance?
- K&N Filters, I guess they speak for themselves.

However, the most important factor is as the title, this ECU/chip, now I realise there is a diffence between ECU and the chip, as the ECU is the entire unit whilst the chip is, well, just the chip (have I got that right?).

Currently I am looking at either 'Powerchip' or 'Unichip', however since I am in a little confusion between the ECU and chip (such as how would replaceing the entire ECU effect the car as opposed to just the chip).. Not just that, I've also read here that chips which are 'one fits all' are quite ineffective and unreliable.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

G

Grantis1976

Being the proud owner of a n/a VL, and having heard all the stories about "power chips", I looked into it, and found that unless your running a turbo, inturnal mods, or planning to do these, your wasting your money.

You have to take the vehicle to the tunner, and have it on a dyno for this to be done properly, the only exception from this would be the swap of some of the VR-VS V8 chips from Holden to HSV, as I beleive there is gain to be had from that. ( havn't done it personaly though????????? )

I have a K&N panel filter ( standard replacment ) in the VL, with a home made cold air intake. This set-up is more to advantage up here in sunny QLD in the midlle of summer, when its 38.C outside, I'm sure you can imagine how hot it gets in the engine bay !

Hi-clones.......if you can get someone to ring you back, your off to a realy good start. Have asked some old school mechanics about them, and they feel they are best suited to deisel vehicles, like the troopys etc.
My personal theroy is that something that slows the flow of air into the motor isn't a good thing....BUT, I havn't tried, so not 100% sure !