Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECU programming TIS2Web advice

Hydrazine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I've got a VCX Nano programmer coming in for my VZ today, following on from this thread. Excited!
I'm wondering which subscription I need to get to flash the right VIN and updates to the car?

I'm hoping to get the 24 month "Vehicle Programming Software" subscription but since I'm changing the VIN over to the correct one for my car, would I need two subscriptions to do it?

I've been lucky enough to get the full printout of all the codes for the replacement ECU in the car so just need to possibly pay for the TIS access

Hydrazine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
So I bought a SPS 24 month subscription and hooked up the programmer and attempted to flash my ECU. Unfortunately, I soft-bricked it :'(
The ECU will no longer start the car, complaining about "Very Low Fuel", "Service Vehicle Soon" and "Fuel Gauge Error, Contact Dealer". It seems to still read fine though.
I had the battery on charger, voltage was 12.70v. I suspect it's something to do with voltage as the "ABS Error" (low voltage???) comes up when the flashing process starts. I'm clutching at straws here, so my next step is to "jump start" with another car to get the ECU to hopefully take the flash.
Anyone have an idea how I can rescue this thing or who I should contact for advice?

Attachments

• E6961.png
    E6961.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 388

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You paid for a subscription, surely that must come with some support. So why not do as the pop up states and actually call GM support? May also be worth contacting the seller of the VCX Nano about your issue ;)

Hopefully the two separate groups won’t point the finger at each other o_O

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
  • E6961 – Unknown Error.
This typically means that SPS has encountered a problem and needs to attempt the programming again. You may see this error up to 3 times before another error code will display. Refer to the other error code before you try to diagnose the issue. Think of this code not as an error, but as a notification that SPS will try again.

Hydrazine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
  • E6961 – Unknown Error.
This typically means that SPS has encountered a problem and needs to attempt the programming again. You may see this error up to 3 times before another error code will display. Refer to the other error code before you try to diagnose the issue. Think of this code not as an error, but as a notification that SPS will try again.

I didn't post this, which happens every few attempts!

Attachments

• E4491.png
    E4491.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 562

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
You are not going to like that code...

• E4491/E4423 – Programming Failed.
This error can be hard to diagnose, because it means that the application can communicate with the module but the it is unable to write all or part of the calibration due to an incompatibility. The most common cause of this is an aftermarket item being wired into the communication bus.

*Salvage and poor quality reman modules also trip this error, because the application can have trouble overwriting the data in the module, especially in GM Global vehicles.

*Make sure the vehicle did not loose voltage.

*Make sure your interface is connected properly. Do not use a wireless interface for programming.

*Check for any aftermarket accessories install on the vehicle.

*If you have a quality module and have confirmed everything is fine with the vehicle, you will need to contact GM techline with the line codes that show in the error dialog box.

Hydrazine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
So, sunk some cash into getting a clone Tech2. Plug it all in, flash works no problems, car starts up with no errors after weeks of being bricked by a POS flash tool. Instrument panel flashed as well to get all the option menu items (courtesy light, headlamp sensitivity etc.).
Seller claims that the VCX Nano only programs new ECUs, which smells like bulls**t to me to avoid a refund. So, as a PSA, there are counterfeit VCX Nano units out there that will brick your car and fail programming. I happened to receive one of them. Be wary of 3rd party sellers on Aliexpress; preferably order units from Allscanner, who make them. Or get a Tech2, they seem to "just work" as far as I'm aware!

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Thanks for posting the update. I was pleased to see that it all worked out in the end.

Would you have a link to the Tech2 clone that you purchased? And, would you have a link to the VCX Nano that didn’t work (just so we know what to avoid)?

Also, with the benefit of your experience, what TIS access/subscriptions were actually required?

Hydrazine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Thanks for posting the update. I was pleased to see that it all worked out in the end.

Would you have a link to the Tech2 clone that you purchased? And, would you have a link to the VCX Nano that didn’t work (just so we know what to avoid)?

Also, with the benefit of your experience, what TIS access/subscriptions were actually required?
Yea, always make sure I finish my stories! I hate it when someone's problem is fixed and they never say anything about what worked!
Link to Tech2 clone (Pick Model G, they give you v147.000): https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/143171270223
Link to VCX Nano clone (I got the WiFi version, heard the non-WiFi can also be bad): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32920288712.html

The TIS subscription required is the one listed as:
Vehicle Programming Software
Includes: 24 months access to program all modules for one vehicle (VIN)

It gives you SPS (programming) access to program all modules available for your vehicle, but you only get just enough attempts to do it once for each available module (my VZ had 3). It also gives you Security access for relinking ECM/BCM/PIM, keyfob programming etc. Once these SPS attempts are used up, then you lose all access (including security).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Seller claims that the VCX Nano only programs new ECUs, which smells like bulls**t to me to avoid a refund. So, as a PSA, there are counterfeit VCX Nano units out there that will brick your car and fail programming...
Unless the sellers advert clearly stated the Nano VCX can only program new ECUs, then the product doesn’t do what was expected of it and a full refund should be provided. As such, i’d put that to the seller and if he doesn’t do the sensible thing by refunding, I’d lodge a claim with paypal or your payment handler.
The TIS subscription required is the one listed as:
Vehicle Programming Software
Includes: 24 months access to program all modules for one vehicle (VIN)

It gives you SPS (programming) access to program all modules available for your vehicle, but you only get just enough attempts to do it once for each available module (my VZ had 3). It also gives you Security access for relinking ECM/BCM/PIM, keyfob programming etc. Once these SPS attempts are used up, then you lose all access (including security).
I’m confused, is it a 24 month subscription (where I’d expect I can program a specific vehicle as many times as I want within the subscription period) or is it a limited programming event type subscription (where I’d expect it shouldn’t be time based but count down successful programming events)?

Guess this simply encapsulates what I don’t like with subscription based systems.