Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECU RESET VE

jigganomtery

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore Omega 2008
Hi all,

I did a ECU Reset by removing both ECU fuses in my 2008 Omega which did a reset, however when I placed the fuses back in and did a restart the car won't click over. It will attempt to and sounds like there isn't enough battery power or an immobilizer kicks in as it starts to shake and then cuts out.

Has anyone else experienced this? The car was driving fine beforehand except for a general sensor engine light that I tired to clear.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Maybe try an idle reset. Key on for 30 seconds. Start and run for 3 mins. Off for 30 seconds. Restart and idle should be good.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If nothing else works maybe try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. If you're lucky that might undo the damage you've done and reset everything.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
What specific fuses did you remove/replace (provide the fuse number and location for both).

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I would say that to the best of my knowledge that is not going to “reset” the ECM. It is how we used to do that back in the old VN VP days.

There’s a tonne of ECM urban myths that float about.

ECM reset/fault clearing is best done with a Tech2 interface or similar.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hi all,

I did a ECU Reset by removing both ECU fuses in my 2008 Omega which did a reset, however when I placed the fuses back in and did a restart the car won't click over. It will attempt to and sounds like there isn't enough battery power or an immobilizer kicks in as it starts to shake and then cuts out.

Has anyone else experienced this? The car was driving fine beforehand except for a general sensor engine light that I tired to clear.
I would have disconnected the negative terminal before reconnecting fuses like those. Voltage spikes can be hazardous to the ECM, and small fumbles as contact is made with the fuse, won’t go well.

jigganomtery

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore Omega 2008
I would have disconnected the negative terminal before reconnecting fuses like those. Voltage spikes can be hazardous to the ECM, and small fumbles as contact is made with the fuse, won’t go well.
Cheers mate, yeah I stupidly followed someone else’s steps on here. I’m gonna get a scan done with a tech 2 to see if I can narrow the issue down. Hopefully I haven’t destroyed it. :(

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
most of the stuff on the ecu is hard coded into it so u cant change anything fundamentally without a tune/tec2 program, all removing the power to them does is reset the fuel trims, throttle correction trims, and the key off power memory

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I removed the Ecu fuse in the boot 15 and also the one under the hood 15
I don't understand. As an example, refer to the diagram of the under hood fuse block from the Holden VE Service Manual attached below. If you removed fuse F15, then you removed the 30 amp front wiper fuse.

1656057220643.png