Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECU tuning - is it technically legal

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Ron Burgundy, Oct 5, 2018.

1. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    not sure how correct it is but my understanding is holden get a new car in and roadworthy (if they even have to) it then it sits on the lot till sold, no matter how long it takes to sell it dosnt need another roadworthy so if any WP extras are fitted it just go thru on the original warrant of fitness, if u search a vehicle on holden database im sure none will ever say it was WP enhanced same as my HSV just shows up as a calais on holden search

2. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Dealers are required to sell roadworthy cars. One of the "benefits" of buying from a dealer, along with guaranteed title, statutory warranty if second hand etc.

So IF Walkinshaw tuned cars don't meet emissions requirements, are dealers breaching the terms of their licenses selling unroadworthy cars ?

I would expect if someone who has purchased a modded car from a dealer gets stung, they would suffer the punishment under the law and would then have to make a claim, under ACL or other law, against the dealer as a separate matter.

immortality and Ron Burgundy like this.
  3. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    They just have to fix it ... put the ECU back to standard, should it be determined that the tune didn’t comply to the rules ...

4. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    I would be suprised if Walkinshaw tune did not go through ADR/EPA compliance. Would be interesting to ask them

5. Ron Burgundy

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    I worry about lots of things...
    It's kind of who I am...but at least my worries generate some interesting discussions that people normally do not think of... ;)

Skylarking likes this.
  6. saroadie

saroadie Active Member

Members Ride:
    2015 VF SV6 Storm
    @Ron Burgundy I can't help but wonder if Walkinshaw reprogram the abs for their big brake kits.

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  7. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Agree.....still in breach though.

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  8. Ron Burgundy

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    By the book...they should...
    But they probably don't

immortality and saroadie like this.
  9. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    I thought big brakes primarily resolve overheat issues from excessive spirited driving or racing but wouldn’t really impact ABS design/programing.

But tyre size and tyre compound does change the expected vehicle dynamics due to the different forces exerted by them which would have some impact on ABS and the various vehicle stability programs in use within our machines. Same goes for brake pad compound. The actual brake calipers and discs, not so much.

Meanwhile there are no strong controls on changing tyre width (as long as it’s within flimsy rules) and we are free to use whatever tyre compound we like as long as it has legal tread depth. As for brake pad compounds, we’re free to use what we want on our standard brakes of your vehicle.

Whatever walkinshaw does with regards to compliance, it would be as little as they can get away with (just like any company) yet they’d spruk their enormous investment and design skills. Meanwhile they’d work behind the scenes to tighten you the rules and exclude back yarders as much as they can get away with.

It’s all a game really...

Ron Burgundy, saroadie and abuch47 like this.
  10. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Walkinshaw I believe use a generic tune on all of their vehicles. I.e. they're not individually tuned. I would expect that they would have a 'blanket' certification for the tunes that they have developed so insurance and warranty claims wouldn't be an issue.

Would be interesting to know for sure though.

426Cuda and Ron Burgundy like this.
  11. immortality

immortality Moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    .... and yet so many guys on here say there W kits are custom tuned.

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  12. Ron Burgundy

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    I sent them an email about their tune in relation to ADR/EPA compliance. I will be suprised if they respond at all.

13. Ron Burgundy

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    Decided to go ahead and get it done. **** it

14. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
    Resilience in motion brah!

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  15. Ron Burgundy

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    Totally bruz

16. revster

revster Active Member

Members Ride:
    30th Anniversary HSV Senator W557
    Yes Walkinshaw supply a generic tune but then it is customized on the dyno to suit the car. At least with my W557. I spoke with the State distributor for WA and SA about ADR and he told me but that does not necessarily mean they meet different jurisdictions requirements. There is no way a W557 would meet emissions just based on the change in Cats never mind the ECU. But I don't think any of that would fuss too many insurance companies but if you are really unlucky/stupid the police could make life tough. As has beed mentioned in the thread, tuners are not authorized to do official tests. SA only has one emissions testing place permitted that has to do the entire state.

17. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    What I’ve never understood is why no 3rd party manufacturer puts together a system and certifies it as complient. Then sells the kit, including the tune, along with the certificate for all to be installed by a workshop of ones choice.

And if a specific tune can’t be produced for a specific kit comprising headers/exhaust, intake upgrades and cam for a LS3 because it’s too ‘individual’, then there is something rather non deterministic occurring or more likely just a money grab by lazy 3rd parties that don’t want to play by the rules.

(some extra carriage returns were needed so I can see the ‘post reply’ button that was hidden under the stupid add banner - seriously this is a pain and must be fixed)

Guess I simply can’t fathom why Walkinshaw doesn’t comply a specific kit and sell it along with a compliance certificate and tune. A $2000 or so compliance test can be amortised to a much smaller amount, so how does a $20 sound on 100 kits? Heck triple the cost for repeat tests, then double it so the margins are good on the test process and it would still be $120 over 100 kits... something just doesn’t tell here...

18. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    The question of "Why don't 'they' just do 'x' ?" would be second only to "What is the purpose of our existence ?"

19. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Ah not quite in the same scope since companies have legal responsibilities for the products they sell.

But to answer your navel gazing question about ones existance, isn’t it to live hard an drive fast in which case who cars about such legalities :p

20. saroadie

saroadie Active Member

Members Ride:
    2015 VF SV6 Storm
    In terms of compliance a car whether modified or not must be compliant to be truly legal. The car manufacturer looks after unmodified cars. The responsibility for modified cars has to be the owners. A kit could contain forced induction and plumbing. Nothing to stop a third party fitter or owner from swapping some bits eg turbos, boost level, injectors and then the certificate supplied with the kit is saying something is compliant when it may not be despite looking exactly as sold once fitted.
    Point is making a regulation where Company A sells a kit and compliance certificate to be fitted by Company B would be full of loopholes and this is my guess why you can't buy such a kit.

It's great to live hard and drive fast. Not so much if you get nabbed for a non-compliant vehicle (granted unlikely but not impossible)

Skylarking likes this.