Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Education down the dunny

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Interesting to see how far our education system is failing. Massive slips in outcomes compared to 10 years ago. Labor blames funding, yet i think it the shithouse teachers going to uni. The lowest score to get in to uni is teaching and nursing, go figure. World class unis far out, I call BS.... Tas is way behind every mainland state and territory. Guess that's what happens when nearly every kid in school thinks to succeed you need a degree.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Doesn't help when the teachers aren't trained in the subject they are teaching.....apparently a prime example is Maths.

Teachers "teaching" what they don't know themselves.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Back in the day, it used to be only a small % of the population went to university. Standards were high. After all, the tribe didn’t need too many chiefs.

The system functioned well as the work processes were much more labour intensive and we built things within this once great country. So, many young adults left school early, heck many at 15 or 16.

Now, the trend is that a much much higher % goes to university as education has become a business model. As such, you can’t fail the golden goose that pays their way. Standards have dropped in high school and yet numbers going to university are rather high. What’s worse is that 17 to’s and in some cases even 20 yo’s are described as kids rather than young adults.

But what makes the whole of the system worse is that employers use university degrees to filter interviewees which exacerbates the view one needs a degree. People that probably shouldn’t get a higher education go on to get a higher education while the standard abates. It’s a downward slide unless you’ve got the money to go to a real (private) university.

In one respect, the picture that @VS_Pete posted is appropriate which I’ll include here

YZbRU1E.jpg

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Way back when, last century, when I left school, really smart kids went to Uni, the majority got ordinary jobs, and the left overs went to teacher’s college.
There were no ’special’ categories for students with ADHD, social disabilities, comprehension, physical and/or mental problems, and every other category that students wear today to fit in or out, depending on what a committee of experts per student decide.
We all had the same curriculum, readin, riting, rithmatic, Oz geography, plus all the dead kings and queens of England.
At the end of year 10 or 12, we had a good grasp on all of the basics, which translated to life after school.
Educational bullshit was yet to be invented.

This has now been forgotten, too many subjects which qualify you for nothing useful, and Uni degrees that lead you to being a barista while you wait for that ‘real’ job.
My daughter’s BFF (who she never sees now) got a really low TER score, (she was hopeless at reading,) and is now a Principal at a large school, on more $$$$ than my daughter who has highly technical job, with a couple of TAFE Diplomas.
And, to make education matters worse, any current male teacher is suspected paedophile.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Bring back old school.
My grade 5 female teacher slapped me across the face because I was never learnt how to spell.
Gee still can`t spell and after that slap I can`t be fucked to learn how too.
No help given like it is now.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I left school at the age of 15 and started an apprenticeship as a carpenter. There was no point in me staying at high school any longer as 2 years was all that was required to start an apprenticeship. My reading, writing and arithmetic was and still are reasonable. I suppose like a lot of people on this forum there are subjects that have been absolutely no use to them. I was good at algebra but that has been no use to me at all. History has been of very little use
I was lucky that I didn't get caught up in the bullshit that occurred years later of having a better chances of getting a job if I had a better education. I feel so sorry for the young ones today who have to waste their time at school when they would be better off in all respects by being in the workforce.
When I started my apprenticeship there was no unemployment, in fact the reverse. The company I worked for could not get carpenters for love nor money. It was when unemployment reared it's ugly head that people were told to get a job they needed a better education. The sad thing is that common sense will never return.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
NSW Govt teachers just got 2.5% pay rise. Starting salary was $65K, progressing to $104K for a classroom teacher.
In todays schools, they are more of a playground supervisor, child psychologist, welfare worker, parent counsellor and mediator, first aid responder, LGBTI/greenie/climate change/left wing/female and minority rights advocates, than being a basic educational instructor.

On a different track ……. if maths are now so down the long drop, how would current students handle pounds, shillings and pence currency, and imperial weights, measures and volumes ?

marty351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl gemini
One main problem that is obvious, technology.
Every child/student is required to have a computer.
Auto correct, calculators, internet and whatnot are allowing kids to skip the hard yards by not working out simple problems. What's the square root of 144? I know! (Opens app and types the whole question in Google) never knowing what a square root even is. Is Singapore an island, a city or a country?
Remember this doozie?
images (1).png
There were adults that couldn't figure out this one, and some of them are teaching in our schools.

Bring back the three R's.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I'm glad I never came across those adults. What would they do with this …..
3809760.JPG
I must be old, they had just come in when I joined the army