Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EFI 5ltr to carby

AndyVKSSA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR caprice 5ltr, VK group 3 rep 5ltr
u know roughly what it cost him?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I always thought the 308 was destroked to 304 late in the VK? Commodore series, due to the need for an engine under 5000cc to compete in Group A competitions.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I always thought the 308 was destroked to 304 late in the VK? Commodore series, due to the need for an engine under 5000cc to compete in Group A competitions.

spot on. but the early 304's still used the older style heads (and different intake manifold), from VN onward the heads changed to the new configuration which have the exhaust ports evenly spaced unlike the early heads which had the siamesed exhaust ports in the middle of the head.

to change 304 efi to carby you would need a manifold to suit the VN heads, there are some out there. get a new fuel regulator to get the fuel down to the correct pressure (efi is 43psi, carby run 6-10psi depending on setup), carby (but you knew that :p ) and a new dizzy. a electronic dizzy from a early 308 should do the job nicely. if your running a early V8 you should already have one:thumbsup:

blocks are the same. cam will depend on what heads you run because change in intake/exhaust port configuration means the cam lobes are different also. the VN heads outflow the VK heads so are definitly better to start with.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
As mentioned just grab a manifold to suit a (carby with EFI heads), a carby, fuel reg and dizzy. It's actually quite an easy swap.

AndyVKSSA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR caprice 5ltr, VK group 3 rep 5ltr
iv got a full MSD ignition in my 308 at the moment, that should drop straight into a EFI block shouldnt it?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
iv got a full MSD ignition in my 308 at the moment, that should drop straight into a EFI block shouldnt it?

all you really need is the manifold and then you just bolt the rest of oyur stuff to that.

the only issue i can see is fitting a mechanical fuel pump onto the 304. the pump normally drives of the cam, not sure if the efi cam has a facitity for that.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
all you really need is the manifold and then you just bolt the rest of oyur stuff to that.

the only issue i can see is fitting a mechanical fuel pump onto the 304. the pump normally drives of the cam, not sure if the efi cam has a facitity for that.
Why not just run an elec pump?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I rekcon the fuel pump mount is still there anyway