Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EFI Legal

Frank Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC COMMODORE/HT Premier
Does anybody know if an aftermarket bolt on efi and say a torque power manifold is legal in a 304 vc?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
As long as you keep all the pollution gear on I can't see why not.

Frank Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC COMMODORE/HT Premier
That's probably how main roads sees it. A complete vn motor would exceed vc emissions levels,so common sense tells me that replacing old vc factory manifold /carb with say holley efi should be okay. ......

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
If the engine is standard, with catalytic converters & tuned professionally you should be able to replicate the VN emission spec. Just check with your local authorities if an "emission test" is required???

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Technically, no since it needs to adhere to adr27a and subsequent applicable emissions requirements. It needs to retain ALL original emissions equipment.

You'd have to get an engineer to sign it off for it to be totally legal. In your case, you'd probably need to have it tested by the EPA too since your setup hasn't been in any production vehicle from the factory. With 304 efi conversions it's just a matter of having an engineer sign off to say that the install has been done properly and that it adheres to the later emissions requirements of the donor car. On vehicles pre July 1976 it's perfectly legal though.

This info has come from a number of engineers I had contected when I was trying to find out for myself. If you're unsure, make a few calls to VASS approved engineers. Study the VSI bulletins to see what is acceptable without engineers approval (not much) and what can be engineered.

Frank Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC COMMODORE/HT Premier
Emissions test and engineers cert shouldn't be too hard....I'll do some checks.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Not too hard, but not too cheap either!

It all depends just how legal you want to be, I very much doubt that most inspection stations or cops on the side of the road would be clued-up enough to spot a 304 over a 308 anyway, let alone what brand of injection system you're using?

But if you're really worried, check with the manufacturer as to whether their systems are approved for emissions usage? I know all the Holley EFI products at least come with a "for off-road use only" proviso because they're not designed for emission controls, I suspect most of the other aftermarket brands may be the same?

Andrew

Frank Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC COMMODORE/HT Premier
Basically a VA prefixed 304 in a vc with a Holley Sniper efi on top. Nothing radical just modernizing,same as electronic dizzys and electric fans.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
A "VA" prefix is just the standard "LV2" option 304 from a VK Commodore, which was obviously pre-unleaded so should be no cat converters needed.

And with the Holley Sniper looking so much like a carby anyway, I doubt anyone will give it a second thought?

If it was me, I'd just do it and not worry about an engineer's certificate, unless you're getting one anyway for something else (diff/gearbox conversion, non-standard seats, etc)?

Andrew

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Just be aware that an insurance company may seek to decline a claim if the vehicle in question is found to deviate from something they believe the car to be. In short, you should tell them the car has been modified from standard and how, and they will tell you if they are willing to insure you. It would be unusual for the insurer to ask if you have an engineers cert or had an emissions test; is it registered? tick, have you told them about the mods, tick, all good no denied claim.