Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Efi Tuning

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Hey guys I am looking at purchasing Tuning gear possibly efi live or hp tuners ? I have a 02 vy 6 cyl and a 17 vf ls3 my questions are 1 Can the vy be tuned 2 Are either of of these able to tune both and 3 What are your guys thoughts on choice efi or hp or??? As with the nob questions I am a novice but keen as to learn

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
efi and hpt can do basically same things just some slight changes, personally id recommend hpt ive been using it for years and i find it so much more user friendly and the scanner side is well above efi and the hpt has better auto trans tuning, the hpt is also cheaper, for the end game either can do what u want so id recommend just download the programs to see what u like to use, but either wont be able to do the vy v6 as its a different platform, also get ready for a heap of learning to understand the tables and all the interactions between them

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
efi and hpt can do basically same things just some slight changes, personally id recommend hpt ive been using it for years and i find it so much more user friendly and the scanner side is well above efi and the hpt has better auto trans tuning, the hpt is also cheaper, for the end game either can do what u want so id recommend just download the programs to see what u like to use, but either wont be able to do the vy v6 as its a different platform, also get ready for a heap of learning to understand the tables and all the interactions between them
Hey thanks for the info I didn't think I could be lucky enough to get 2 for 1 I was hoping to do some learning on the vy and I am taking some courses at the moment but I must admit am very nervous about doing my first tune lol but It will be a while before that happens . Thanks again

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
For info on how to tune the VY V6 check out the PCM Hacking forum. The software is all freeware but you will need an ALDL cable at a minimum which is available from the site.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
For info on how to tune the VY V6 check out the PCM Hacking forum. The software is all freeware but you will need an ALDL cable at a minimum which is available from the site.
Thanks I have not heard of them will follow up on that

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Hey thanks for the info I didn't think I could be lucky enough to get 2 for 1 I was hoping to do some learning on the vy and I am taking some courses at the moment but I must admit am very nervous about doing my first tune lol but It will be a while before that happens . Thanks again
once u get into it and need any help with anything just send me a pm, just remember small changes if ur not sure and always get as much data as u can to relate to the tables u want to adjust, and if u do go hpt and ur not sure with your changes u can send me ur tune file and i can check it over for u and make any adjustments if need be, and if ur auto trans always adjust the engine first as changes to that can affect the auto also, and the hptunersforum is worth the read heaps of info on there

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It can be a lot of fun once you start to get a hang of things but start of with small changes.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
once u get into it and need any help with anything just send me a pm, just remember small changes if ur not sure and always get as much data as u can to relate to the tables u want to adjust, and if u do go hpt and ur not sure with your changes u can send me ur tune file and i can check it over for u and make any adjustments if need be, and if ur auto trans always adjust the engine first as changes to that can affect the auto also, and the hptunersforum is worth the read heaps of info on there
Thanks so much for the offer to be honest it is a bit of a information overload at the moment but I am in no rush and I am looking forward to the challenge .I would really appreciate someone to check tunes

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I would advise to get a wideband air fuel ratio sensor.
It is the only way to know your fueling is well tuned while in open loop. It is also a great troubleshooting tool.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
I would advise to get a wideband air fuel ratio sensor.
It is the only way to know your fueling is well tuned while in open loop. It is also a great troubleshooting tool.
Thanks yes that is on the shopping list is there any recommendations or anything I need to look out for