Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EFI unit Head on Red 202

C

cyberjo

can anyone tell me? can you put a 12 port head and efi unit on a red 202 the EFI was off a VK black motor 202 and do u have to change the cam also can I put the elec distr in as well

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore sl
efi upgrade

hey cyberjo i can answer some of these questions for you.

1. yes u can fit a 12 port head on the red block, u have to drill new passages for the water galleries (4 from memory - not to hard), using a blue/black head gasket as a template is the go, previous red motor water gallery passages will be blocked off by the blue/black head gasket. also u will need the extractors as well, as red heads use different headers, can use same pushords/lifters.

2. preferably change the cam over from the old efi black 202, or go a new one from crow cams with a slightly better lift/duration etc, they can tell ya information on cam. when changing the cam over to red motor, change the crank and camshaft gear set as the crank gear on a red motor is imperial, and blue/black is a metric pitch. use the metric gear set, at least alluminium or can go straight cut if u like a whiney motor.

3. the electronic distibutor can be put in a red block, all cams are the same for red/blue/black motors, much better than point system, by pass the ballast resistor for the ignition circuit, a full 12v is needed to run the electronic dizzy.

4. dont forget the fuel system, u will also need an efi fuel pump, and a return line to go back into the tank. also u will need the fuse box from an efi commodore or dismantle one as the fuel pump relay is needed from there.

any other questions do ask, hope thats helped,

-Cam