Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ek ute dial up beware picture heavy

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Just a few update pics, have been fairly busy at work and it being winter i dont get to spend as much time on the ek as i would like to.
ek063.jpg

ek066.jpg

ek062.jpg

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
is that the whole floor out of a commodore or something ???

i love what you do with your hoist :D

Yeah thats the full vn floor, i figure if its in the right spot i can use its g/box x/member, will used the commy seats, tbar etc. I had to replace the full floor so i used what i had available.

The winch i have around the diff i use to pull motors etc out, makes doing things easier. Wanted to weld the floor underneath and didn't want to get sparks in my hair it's also easier to weld on an angle and not above me.

Cheers Shane

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
THAT, right there, is fantastic. I love the hoist work :)

I can see you've use a welder before ^_^ Everything's so straight and clean :)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
then i cut through the strengthening rails with the grinder. the underlay started to smoulder, so i grabbed the hose, this is the result.

cheers shane

ah hahaha

i did the same thing once, but used an oxy...

dunno what the f... i was thinking at the time. or not thinking. the fire brigade were not happy either.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
just had the last 2 weeks off to get some work done. finally got to it yesterday. i finished making my engine mounts yesterday.so today i thought i would put the motor in, needed to change the front x member to hr. last bolt on the ek x member was rusted so i grabed the 9 inch grider to cut it, when it cut through the x member dropped grabbing the grinder causing it to grip and force my right hand into the rim. result was me sitting her typing this left handed cause i have 6 stitches in the back of my right hand. needed 2 to close the artery that wouldnt stop bleeding and the other 4 to stitch the gash.
It happened around 2pm, i just rapped a clean rag around it and kept going. got the hr x member in and then sat the engine in. then i lifted the ek up on the hoist and was going to put the tranny in but i made the mounts too high.
i have to work out another way to make them. i want to avoid haveing too cut the sump if at all possible.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hey Magi

When it was popular to fit Chev small blocks into earlies, the cross member needed serious modification. It was done by cutting out the centre of the member between the engine mounts, then boxing and reinforcing the member so that the top of it sat a few inches below the original level. The small blocks had the advantage of a nice neat, narrow sump that didn't need huge amounts removed from the crossmember.

I can't recall the sump on the Buick motor. Is it narrow like the early Holden 6's an d 8's or broad like the Ecotec? Is crossmember modification an option?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Won't get it in there without modding the sump.....Not a chance. You need a reverse sump with the well at the rear. You *might* get it in there, but you will never get the auto in there and even if you did, the driveline angle would be terrible. You will flog out front uni's in about 5 minutes.

Calaber: To fit a V6 into an early girl, it needs the same basic mods as fitting a Chev. That is, cut the crossmember (which is an engineering requirement as it allows the motor to slide over the crossmember in a front on hit) and reinforce it, convert to rack & pinion steering and have a reverse sump that puts the well at the rear (unlike a Commodore sump which has the well at the front).

1 other thing, in Vic, you will require a chassis kit to get in engineered with the V6 in it. Although, in NSW, i don't think it's a requirement. Not sure on the other states.