Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electric Aerial Adjustment

VPwagon

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to "adjust" the electric aerial on a VYII SV8. They are the type that have no up-down buttons, they just go up when the radio is on and down when it (or the car) is turned off.

Mine gets to the top and goes "clunk-ckuck-clunk-clunk", and when it gets to the botton it does the same bl**dy annoying thing. Apparent quite common and can be "adjusted" out of it using the up/down buttons. How do you do it without the up/down buttons? :bang:

Maybe the extra $9000 for an SS would have got me some up/down buttons and this is the price I pay :cry:

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I can't really answer your question but I can tell you that the SS doesn't have up/down buttons for the aerial.

How bad is the noise? I think it's normal for them to make a bit of a noise when they fully extend or fully retract. Mine does it to some extent...

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Are you sure it is extending fully? mine does the same thing but its because it doesnt retract the whole way because it is a bit bent.

white vn ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
yea most common thing to do to electrical aerials is to lube them and see if it is bent in anyway and try to straighten it. just dont bend too far. becomes a lil costly for a new aerial. about 80 or so plus fitting.

VPwagon

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, but, the answer is no to all of them. It is FULL extending AND retracting. It is not bent and does not need any more lubricant. The motion of the aerial is faultless. The noise occurs without fail every time it hits the top or the bottom. And it is loud. Loud enough to scare any unsuspecting passengers or passers-by.

The problem is that the motor continues to run when the aerial has reached it's limit, up or down. For about two seconds or seven "clunks" to be exact.

There are numerous threads on both this forum and LS1.com.au that refer to this issue, and it is appears to be quite common. I know it is fixable, but no-one seems to be able to describe how.

I believe that on models that have an aerial up/down button setup, it is simply a matter of hitting the "down" button just as the aerial reaches the top under automatic conditions. This resets the timing of the module that controls the aerial. My question was how do I do that on a model WITHOUT the up/down buttons.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Does anyone know if there is a limit switch or something in the automatic aerials?? If there is and its crook it could be causing this issue.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
id the limit switch(what ever it is called) is buggered or there is some sort of timing problem, i.e it thinks theres more anntena then there is