Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electric Aerial

kasey375

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais 383
Hi, I have no electric aerail in my can and i have put all the calais dash buttons in my car ( cruze ect ). I have been told i will have to put a electric earial module in as well, does any one know if that will just plug into my car or will there be more to it than that?
thanks.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Dont bother with the module. They often stuff up and then the aerial goes straight back down again... wont stay up.

Also aftermarket aerials arent compatible with the VN module anyway, so you would need a genuine aerial... Grab an Aerpro aerial for less.

Wire the aerial straight to the radio... When the radio is turned on, aerial goes up, radio is off, aerial goes down. But yeah the buttons wont work on your console to put it up and down, but they wont work proprerly with an aftermarket aerial anyway as I said before.

But if you really want it to work...Genuine aerials are like $160 or something (Aftermarket Aerpro ones are between $90 and $99)

Aerial modules you're lookin at $40-$50 from a wreckers or spare parts place normally. The wiring should be there already, it should be able to be plugged in inside your passenger side kick panel and up next to the glove box... Just a matter of locating the plug.

Snotty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina auto s2
yeah, my module was buggered, started acting all weird.

So i just ray 12V to the switched and then to the aerial, totally bypassing the module

works just fine.

kasey375

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais 383
1991_Vn2nV said:
Dont bother with the module. They often stuff up and then the aerial goes straight back down again... wont stay up.

Also aftermarket aerials arent compatible with the VN module anyway, so you would need a genuine aerial... Grab an Aerpro aerial for less.

Wire the aerial straight to the radio... When the radio is turned on, aerial goes up, radio is off, aerial goes down. But yeah the buttons wont work on your console to put it up and down, but they wont work proprerly with an aftermarket aerial anyway as I said before.

But if you really want it to work...Genuine aerials are like $160 or something (Aftermarket Aerpro ones are between $90 and $99)

Aerial modules you're lookin at $40-$50 from a wreckers or spare parts place normally. The wiring should be there already, it should be able to be plugged in inside your passenger side kick panel and up next to the glove box... Just a matter of locating the plug.

Y will the aerpro ones not work with the modules?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
kasey375 said:
Y will the aerpro ones not work with the modules?

They're not a 100% perfect design as they cover more than 1 model so compatibility with the module is not perfect. They work with some model modules, not sure what ones. That 1 design is to suit VN/VP/VR/VS I think it is, and so it covers several different modules for those series. There were 2 or 3 different modules just for the VN. So the aerial works with some, not with others as there are differences in the modules. Doesnt work in any of the VN ones and I dont think it works for the VP ones either. Not sure about VR/VS.

What will happen is it will be the same as having a faulty module. The aerial will go straight back down when you press for it to go up... as soon as u let go of the up button it will come down again. Same thing will happen when u start the car... It'll go up then straight back down.

It does work sometimes. Maybe 2/10 times when you start the car it will work as it should. Seems to work more often when its cold outside, not sure why.

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
funny that. my car is a s2 executive, but on the dash i ahve the antenna buttons, and i can hear it click when i do it, but nothing, how do i get into the gaurd to **** with the aerial and get it working again?? cheers

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
Some prick snapped off my aerial so I disconnected it from the wiring and the stub just sits there. The motor still works a treat, just no aerial. You can get replacement centres and bands for not much. Might do that, but I'm told the guard has to come off to replace it.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
fazz1977 said:
Some prick snapped off my aerial so I disconnected it from the wiring and the stub just sits there. The motor still works a treat, just no aerial. You can get replacement centres and bands for not much. Might do that, but I'm told the guard has to come off to replace it.

Its like $30 to replace the aerial mast... If ya dont wanna do it yourself just get JB Hi-Fi to do it... For probably $40 all up.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
CSL said:
funny that. my car is a s2 executive, but on the dash i ahve the antenna buttons, and i can hear it click when i do it, but nothing, how do i get into the gaurd to **** with the aerial and get it working again?? cheers

Yeah either remove the guard, or the mud flap thing inside the wheel arch. If you can hear it click and it doesnt move at all, then its not the module or switches playing up. Either the wirings been cut before the aerial, or the aerial itself is completely stuffed, but normally when the motor has gone it still makes an awful noise trying to put the aerial up again...