Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electric Antenna Install

R

rattattack1313

Had a fun afternoon yesterday..Infusion bought a new electric antenna for his commo.........he wasnt sure on the installation, so he drove all the way to my place.... we 1st had to loosen the bottom of the guard, and ger rid of the plastic inner guard bit...... we could't take the guard right off, because we didn't want to damage the paintwork(and the screw heads were painted over).... stripped the console down, and removed the car computer out of its bracket......we then had to join the 2 antenna earth wires, and connect to the body...a convienient little screw up top with a bayonet clip ...yay!!!!Then we bent the mounting plate thing with all the holes on it, and put a nut & bolt through the wall......(remember removing the computer??? the nut lives behind it...).....a quick check to make sure it isnt hitting anything......then behind the head unit..... we stripped a little plastic from the yellow power wire.....taped up..connected the power wire from the antenna to the blue wire from rear of head unit.......jammed everything back in the hole it fell out of....and it even worked !!!! We done real goood !!!!!!!!!!!.So...if you like the idea of an elecrtic antenna...don't be shy..it takes a couple of hours fiddling about, especially if you have never done anything to your car like this.....but worth it, I think....... :thumbsup:

Attachments

• earth.jpg
    earth.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 3,839
Last edited by a moderator:

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
Oh it was good fun, thanx for the help mate, hit bloody peak hour traffic on the way back... arghhh

Yes it does work but just needs some minor adjusting so the antenna comes out straight and not an an angle, will adjust the bracket later today.

It took us about 2 hours to find the right bolt to bolt the bracket on, rest took about 10 minutes :rofl:

Thanx again :drink:

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
i adjusted it now, very happy with the outcome, works a treat.

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
how much was the electric antenna and where did u get it from?

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
$129 from supercheap.

B

BR377

Couldn't get the gaurd off, that would have made it sooo much easier.
Good work though :thumbsup:

My Vn came with an electric antenna, and the dash with the buttons, aftermarket or not? i dont know!

tropical^fish

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais 5.0
if you live in victoria, and near the metro area, you can get a electric antenna from pick a part for $22! you just have to get it out of the car yourself, but that doesnt take too long...

R

rattattack1313

I would reallly trust a $150 item to be in goood nick, for $22.......not.....

tropical^fish

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais 5.0
the $22 is a genuine GM part, but you have to remove it from the car yourself, its a automotive wrecking yard where its self-serve. You test the part before you pay for it... so i believe that the GM part is better than the aftermarket part, especially when you only have to pay peanuts for it.

Last edited: