Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electric Antenna Install

R

rattattack1313

tropical^fish said:
again, just because i have something to say you have to go against it, and now your following me around with my threads - dont you have a job?
all im trying to do is inform people about stuff, and thats no good. obviously!
the $22 is a genuine GM part, but you have to remove it from the car yourself, its a automotive wrecking yard where its self-serve. You test the part before you pay for it... so i believe that the GM part is better than the aftermarket part, especially when you only have to pay peanuts for it.
I am not going against what you said, I am just stating, that I wouldn't expect an $150 item I only paid $22 for, to be a shining rippper of a unit that did everything it was supposed to do, when it was supposed to do it....now you say that it can be tested before you pay.......that is the sort of thing not all places let you do...... so, yea, it's a good post............ And I do have a job..it is called MODERATING ......... which involves reading just about every post that pops up in here......and if you think I am following you, I think you are just paranoid....loooool....

tropical^fish

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais 5.0
yeah i guess so, i edited the post, and remembered that it was your thread... so yeah.... suppose not all yards can let you test stuff, like when i was in NSW paid a bit for a thermo fan and it didnt work! and when i went back it was all like, stiff - you paid, bad luck!

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
tropical^fish said:
yeah i guess so, i edited the post, and remembered that it was your thread... so yeah.... suppose not all yards can let you test stuff, like when i was in NSW paid a bit for a thermo fan and it didnt work! and when i went back it was all like, stiff - you paid, bad luck!

wreckers like that **** me, what you do is make sure that they mark the item you buy so if you have any dramas you go, look i even got you to mark it incase this happened.

then they have to replace it

as for testing in wrecking yards you can only test what you can

if you want to test an arial its easy enough to hook up to the battery but if you want to test a motor and som1 has taken half the wiring you pretty well outa luck

J

jim898

anyone know what colour the wire is that sends the power from the head unit to the elec antenna to make it go up and down. I want to remove the cable (disconnect) so it doesnt retract it or make it go up when the radio is on.

I cant be stuffed taking off my guards as the wheels are in the way too much stuffing around to get into the panel outside..

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Yellow with a red stripe is the antenna wire.I found at most wreckers the mast on any antenna... power or not is the first thing that is broken off by someone before you get to it...most times if you buy a electric aerial you got to get a replacement mast and rope anyway.

BottFodder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega II
ARRRRGGGHHH....

Does ANYONE know why Holden persist is sticking the bloody antenna in the front left had guard?

My wife has just wiped ours out passing a 4WD on our road. :b: Its not the first one either - each time its $130 plus fitting them is a pain. I haven't even had the car for a month.

Why can't they locate them in the REAR RIGHT hand side where every homicidal tree in Australia will have to try REALLY hard to bust them. Or the roof... Or a diversity in the rear window. Anywhere than where branches can wipe them out!

Does anyone have any experience in putting roof mounted antennas in.

BottFodder

M

Mr Invisible 55

VY elecrtic antenna installation

Hey does any one know how hard it would b to install an electric antenna in a vy commodore ute? since mine dosent have one im a little scared to park in shopping centre car parks coz of punk kids lol. so if any one could let me know that would b great thanx RYAN
:drink:

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Had a fun afternoon yesterday..Infusion bought a new electric antenna for his commo.........he wasnt sure on the installation, so he drove all the way to my place.... we 1st had to loosen the bottom of the guard, and ger rid of the plastic inner guard bit...... we could't take the guard right off, because we didn't want to damage the paintwork(and the screw heads were painted over).... stripped the console down, and removed the car computer out of its bracket......we then had to join the 2 antenna earth wires, and connect to the body...a convienient little screw up top with a bayonet clip ...yay!!!!Then we bent the mounting plate thing with all the holes on it, and put a nut & bolt through the wall......(remember removing the computer??? the nut lives behind it...).....a quick check to make sure it isnt hitting anything......then behind the head unit..... we stripped a little plastic from the yellow power wire.....taped up..connected the power wire from the antenna to the blue wire from rear of head unit.......jammed everything back in the hole it fell out of....and it even worked !!!! We done real goood !!!!!!!!!!!.So...if you like the idea of an elecrtic antenna...don't be shy..it takes a couple of hours fiddling about, especially if you have never done anything to your car like this.....but worth it, I think....... :thumbsup:

How would u go about making the antena retract only wen u turn the radio on an aftermarket head unit? i know u can use the remote wire but that would have the antena up as soon as the car has power i only want it wen the radio goes on??

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
How would u go about making the antena retract only wen u turn the radio on an aftermarket head unit? i know u can use the remote wire but that would have the antena up as soon as the car has power i only want it wen the radio goes on??

On most aftermarket H/U there is a wire that says (ant wire) it give power to the anttena when the radio is on but when you switch to cd/dvd/stacker it loses power and then retracts the antena.....

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
had a look at my wiring harness dave only has the remote wire in the back is there a way u can hook up a wire 2 do the same thing as the antena wire?