Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electric Antenna installation on standard/non Electric ant VN/VP

AlpineRaven

Reaction score
I have VN Commodore S wagon, didn't have cruise/electric antenna at all, I've managed to track down an single wire loom (From Cruise control module to switch) for cruise control assembly and will install it in my VN, as far I know that there is 2 buttons for Electric antenna, and might as well install it at the same time, I've sourced 3 items - buttons that came with Cruise control, antenna module & control box?¿ (shown picture below) is there anything else I am missing out on? is the wire loom already there from Radio - switch on the surround etc?

Picture of the control box -
Image021.jpg

Is this correct one?

Anything else?
Cheers & thanks
AP

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Yep thats the aerial module.

Please note that this module will not work with Aerpro aftermarkt aerials. This module will only work the genuine item normally.

However there are 2 or 3 different modules from the VN's and more from VP/VR/VS which is why the Aerpro aerials arent compatible (designed for VN-VS but across that range there are several modules). The aerial will go straight back down all the time.

My reccomendation? Lose the module. Wire the aerial straight to the Radio... so dont have the module in between.

This means: Radio on, aerial up. Radio off, aerial down. No working buttons though on ya dash.

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
hrmm my berlina never had a on/off switch for Antenna.. on = up off = down.

lazza44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2 Berlina Wagon
I just replaced my electric aerial in my vn berlina with a brand new genuine one and it goes up even when a cd is playing...is this normal?( I have a pioneer head unit) I also thought the module remembered how high the aerial was previously and only went that high the next time you turn ya car on? am i wrong? cause it goes nearly all the way up every time so I just use the button to put it down.

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
mine doesn't go up or down when swithcing to head unit

is it the motor or module?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
When you turn the headunit ON, it should go up aprrox 3/4? Or there abouts. It does not remember the exact height from last time when you turn the car on either.

But there may be some slight variations depending on which module you have. i.e. some go up and then down everytime the headunit is turned on, then you gotta put it up again yourself with the buttons. That is just plain silly as it increases wear in my opinion. Other modules like the later VN ones go up and stop.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
mine doesn't go up or down when swithcing to head unit

is it the motor or module?

If it doesnt go up or down when switching ON the headunit, its probably got something to do with how its wired to the headunit rather than the module.

If it doent go up or down full stop (with the buttons either) then again I would say its wiring somewhere, loose connection or plug. When the motor goes it makes a bad noise. With the module, normally it either stays up or stays down (most often will go straight back down when you try to put it up - similar to when you fit an Aerpro aerial with the VN module). So if it does nothing, its a wiring/connection problem.

lazza44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2 Berlina Wagon
thanks for that info..mine goes up about 3/4 when you turn the head unit on and stays there. I was just hoping it would only go up when the radio was on, not playing cd's.

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
Is it possible someone could post a pic or 2 of how to get to the electric aerial inside the guard? I have a great working motor (not connected, but works good when it is) but the aerial it's self is snapped off and I can replace the aerial and drive band for about $10 instead of $100 plus for the whole assembly.