Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electric fuel pump

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm after peoples opinion.....I have been running a carter electric fuel pump now for about 10 years and it is starting to show signs of giving up the ghost....

Should I get another carter or should I get an aeroflow pump?

Or is there another brand people would recommend?

The car is running a blue 6, with a mildly ported head and a crow 664 cam.....So nothing exotic....

Look forward to replies

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
id prob stick with the carter pump there quality sounds good if they done 10 years

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Even if carter cost twice as much as aeroflow I'd still prefer to use carter.

I think newer versions have improved since last time I bought gold carter...supposedly quieter.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I am after a bit of advise....

I have just bought a new carter pump ready to fit up to my VC....My question is, currently the pump has the inlet and outlet running parellel to the ground...The new pump I bought has a bracket I can bolt the pump to, which would mean the inlet and outlet would be pointing towards the ground and body....Would that be alright running the pump with the inlet/outlet pointing to the body/ground or is it more adviseable to have it running parellel to the ground?

Thanks

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I am after a bit of advise....

I have just bought a new carter pump ready to fit up to my VC....My question is, currently the pump has the inlet and outlet running parellel to the ground...The new pump I bought has a bracket I can bolt the pump to, which would mean the inlet and outlet would be pointing towards the ground and body....Would that be alright running the pump with the inlet/outlet pointing to the body/ground or is it more adviseable to have it running parellel to the ground?

Thanks
most pumps cant self prime so its best to have the inlet below tank level if possible, if its external having the inlet as the lowest point will be best so it dosnt have to divert up to the inlet which may cause air pocket and it may not prime if air is in there when it sits, having it parallel i think would be better with this pump

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
most pumps cant self prime so its best to have the inlet below tank level if possible, if its external having the inlet as the lowest point will be best so it dosnt have to divert up to the inlet which may cause air pocket and it may not prime if air is in there when it sits, having it parallel i think would be better with this pump

Thanks for that....Currently the pump is bolted to the floor pan, just above the diff, so the inlet side of the pump is above the outlet of the fuel tank....Been that way for the 10 years, with no problems...

I'll put the new pump minus the bracket supplied, as the bracket is a 90 degree bracket, which would put the inlet/outlet of the pump pointing towards the ground/body.....Saves me drilling holes in the chassis rail.

Or I might have a good look underneath, when replacing the pump, if there is somewhere I can put the bracket and have the inlet/outlet pointing parallel to the ground.....

Will keep this updated, when I get to it, so thanks for your input

Last edited: