Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electric Handbrake Not Working ?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The park brake won't activate in any position other than Park, and the DIC will display the message, Shift to Park if this is attempted (in auto).

I am not a fan of a EPB, luckily I don't drive a car with one. So my questions relate to the infrequent times I have driven them.
1. I'm in the habit of using the handbrake at traffic lights, so pulling the EPB switch while in 'D' does nothing ?
2. Does this explain why when I have pulled the EPB switch, then just driven off, forgetting to de-activate it, then thinking..... how does that work ?
3. Does operation pretty much render an EPB useless unless parked in a garage or car park ?

If I am way off track here, excuse me, as I still have not worked out how they work, or not work, from my limited experience.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Nothing renders EPB useless other than care less application or improper service, which applies to just about everything else in a car. A great many modern cars have them, and they are a big improvement over the clumsy hand-operated method, especially those of us who can remember getting our hands jammed in the shocking VE "wedgie" handbrake (c. 2009)!

The VF in auto requires the transmission to be in Park before the EPB can be applied. It will not operate in Drive, Reverse or Neutral. Also, your foot must be on the brake when applying EPB until the indicator light on the instrument stops flashing. I cannot comment on others saying the EPB can be applied in Neutral, because that certainly doesn't happen with mine.

Applying the handbrake at traffic lights is a terrible habit. Your foot should be on the brake at traffic lights, and remain so until moving again. A handbrake offers no insurance or safety in the event of a rear-end contact collision.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Applying the handbrake at traffic lights is a terrible habit. Your foot should be on the brake at traffic lights, and remain so until moving again. A handbrake offers no insurance or safety in the event of a rear-end contact collision.

Don’t know why you think that applying the handbrake at traffic lights is a terrible habit.
If someone rear-ends me, that is their fault. At least I won’t rear-end someone else if my foot slips off the footbrake as a result of being rear-ended.

I drove a heavy vehicle for a long period. We had 2 parking brakes, an EPB toggle on the dash which engaged with a soft ‘click’ , and a gear shaped lever which engaged with a satisfying release of air, and a clunk as it fell into the gate, which I preferred. Our yearly driving standards inspection resulted in a ‘fail’ if either was not operated when stopped at lights or a Stop sign.

So, instead of one simple operation of pulling up a handbrake, EPB requires knowledge of what parameters have to be met before applying it successfully..

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
My EPB will work in any gear when stopped, as per the Owners Manual.
If you apply it at traffic lights, It will disengage by itself when you take off.
You can use it as an emergency brake, just hold it up until the car stops.
VF EPB.PNG

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Sorry Big Red, apart from the initial paragraph in your post above, you couldn't be more wrong. The EPB on the VF auto can be applied at any time, in any gear, but of course should only be applied when the vehicle is stopped. In an emergency you can use the EPB to slow you down while the vehicle is in motion; a chime will sound and the message RELEASE PARK BRAKE SWITCH will be displayed on the DIC. If you try to drive off with the EPB applied it will automatically disengage, but this practice is not recommended. If all these things don't happen with your car, you need to get the EPB serviced by a competent mechanic. The correct procedure when driving off is to apply and hold the brake pedal, push down momentarily on the EPB switch to release it, release the brake pedal and then accelerate.

Any driving instructor will tell you that when stopped at traffic signals or any other time you'll be stationary for a while, you should apply the EPB and not keep your foot on the brake pedal. This avoids the possibility of your foot slipping off the brake pedal accidentally. It also avoids dazzling the driver behind you with your brake lights at night. And we've all been behind one of those ********, haven't we? ;)

Edit: OK, the two posts above snuck in whilst I was writing mine -- but we all agree!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The VF in auto requires the transmission to be in Park before the EPB can be applied. It will not operate in Drive, Reverse or Neutral. Also, your foot must be on the brake when applying EPB until the indicator light on the instrument stops flashing. I cannot comment on others saying the EPB can be applied in Neutral, because that certainly doesn't happen with mine.

Must be something wrong with your EPB, maybe you should get it checked?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
You could always have a look at Engineering Mode with additional PID/safety functions...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Don’t know why you think that applying the handbrake at traffic lights is a terrible habit.
If someone rear-ends me, that is their fault.
It depends on the circumstance, but if you're in Pole Position with the handbrake on & someone rear-ends you, you're more likely to be punted out into the traffic than if you're using the foot brake. Same reason you should keep your steering-wheel straight ahead, right up until the moment you're turning, while waiting to turn right at a set of lights.

If you're going straight ahead & not in Pole Position, I don't see why you wouldn't use the handbrake/parkbrake.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Nothing renders EPB useless other than care less application or improper service, which applies to just about everything else in a car. A great many modern cars have them, and they are a big improvement over the clumsy hand-operated method, especially those of us who can remember getting our hands jammed in the shocking VE "wedgie" handbrake (c. 2009)!

Sorry, but this is nonsense. The EPB most certainly operates in gear. I use mine all the time at the lights so I can take my foot off the brake. It also has a hill control feature that holds the car on a hill for several seconds with your foot off the brake pedal.
I'm also one who applies the EPB before shifting to park.