Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VN-VP] Electric mirror switch VN VP

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
I got fed up with my electric mirrors not working, in particular the down would never work on either mirror. I was too cheap to go buy a switch from the wreckers, so i ripped out my old switch and repaired it. Here is what i did:

Equipment:
Flat head screwdriver (fine)
Fine nose pliers (the smaller the better)
tissues and cotton buds (the ones on the stick)
a couple of tooth pics
some cleaning alcohol, the higher the concentration the better, I used 99% Isopropyl alcohol. You can get this from electronic shops or sometimes at chemists

What happens is over time water gets into the switch causing corrosion (that green stuff), this stops the current and causes the switch not to work, as long as this corrosion isn't to bad it can be cleaned off with the Isopropyl.

Step 1: Get the switch out of the car
Pretty simple, pull the cover off the drivers door handle, mine is warped and came off very easy
You should now see the wiring like below
2012-07-05 19.22.01.jpg
You will need to unplug the harness, and then push the switch assembly out from behind, now you can take the assembly to a work bench.

Step 2: Dissemble
For this step it is best to have a clear work space, as small springs and thingmabobs are likely to fly everywhere :L
The switch assembly consists of the front plate, which acts as a sheath and covers up the mechanisms, and the components themselves mounted on a PCB board. To seperate the two use a small flat head screew driver, and insert it between the two on the small side then pry them apart. when they separate bits may fly out, dont panic they all slot back in easily, you should now see this:
2012-07-05 19.15.19.jpg
Step 3: corrosion removal
This is how bad it was to start with:
2012-07-05 18.19.53.jpg
Now you need to use the tissues and cotton buds combined with the Isopropyl to rub away the corrosion, my switch had a considerable amount around on of the circular mechanisms, i ended up using a tooth pick to scrape away as much as possible:
2012-07-05 18.36.28.jpg
2012-07-05 18.45.51.jpg
The good thing about a high concentration of alcohol is it evaporates very quickly, so you can literally soak all corrosion in Isopropyl.

Now you can remove corrosion from the joystick side using the same technique.
2012-07-05 19.15.29.jpg

Step 4: assemble
just reverse what you did before, one of the contacts on the left/right mirror switch came out on mine, the tiny springs made it a real pain to get back in, but it is possible, just mind it doesn't spring out and get you in the eye :p

Step 5: test
Once the unit is all back together, give it a couple of minutes to dry (the alcohol should evaporate almost instantly, but better safe than sorry), then install it back into the car, and give it a shot.

This was on a VP Berlina, i assume the same technique works on VN/VP/VR/VS.
Hopefully this will help out a few people, if you have any questions just ask :D

Attachments

• 2012-07-05 19.22.12.jpg
    2012-07-05 19.22.12.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 814

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
good work man i did this a while ago in my VP, also deicided 2 pop out the green dot and put in an LED so it lights up :)

greyim11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
Commodore mirror switchwiring colours

Awesome work!
Maybe you canhelp withthis problem- I wantto use a commodore switch for my transit mirrors, but am having trouble working out wwhichwireswhich..on the switch that is...
Black = earth I'm pretty sure, not sure which is +ve, (connect tothe pink on holden) I'mguessing the brown, but wiring diagram suggests thats earth to the mirrors
pics next post

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
There is a diagram that might help you on this thread: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...tting-electric-mirrors-vn-without-wiring.html
I don't believe it will be an easy fit though.....
inside the switch there are three contacts and depending on what contacts are touching depends on the direction the mirror goes. So i dont think it will be easy as left/right up/down.

You could also try probing the wires with a multi-meter.

If you find out what the wires are post it up, might help someone else! :D