Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
I recently watched 2 videos on a '68 Mustang that was converted to electric power. It is built with speed as the goal so only has like 50 mile range. But its speed/torque figures are astounding!

This first video is a overview of the car and a small interview with the creator:

This second video is about it breaking the speed record for a street electric car at the texas mile:

[video=dailymotion;x2libyz]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2libyz[/video]

Here is an article going into the story in a bit more depth: The Verge-Zombie 222 Electric 1968 Mustang

My concerns are range and power. This car has convinced me that power will not be an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
My concerns are range and power. This car has convinced me that power will not be an issue.

Did you read any of the previous posts? Tesla has it in spades with regards to power AND range. Just need it to cost a **** load less and for rapid charge points to be readily available. Where you can drive from Melb to Sydney for example, and a rapid charge station can charge the car is roughly the same time as it takes to have a toilet, food and drink break.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Yes I had read the previous posts. Am aware of Tesla's claims, but like you said the range is only so good if you have a charging point available which is not readily available outside of cities, as far as I know. My daily route from Newcastle to Maitland doesn't seem to have any.

Price is still way up there. Though as with everything this will fall as it becomes more widely accepted and people get over the "But that v8 grumble" mindset. (Edit: I too like the sound of a v8, but with the fact that oil will run out, not exactly something we can be too attached to)

Mainly posted to share some cool info on the technology that is being discussed. I personally for electric cars like the idea of converting a favourite car from petrol to electric power. Like the video did with a Mustang, not really a fan of any of the Tesla body shapes.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Tesla's claims? WTF man. It's real world. It's NOW! Performance AND range.

Retrofitting existing service stations with rapid charging stations is a no brainer and simple. Once prices come down, demand will go up and the need for charging stations will force installation. Of course they also charge off a standard 240v power socket - it just takes longer. So for a daily drive for most people, they're already a winner (other than the purchase price of course).

I'm no fanboy or anything but if the P85D was less than $100,000 on the road I'd buy one tomorrow. And for my interstate travel just factor in recharging time.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
I recently watched 2 videos on a '68 Mustang that was converted to electric power. It is built with speed as the goal so only has like 50 mile range. But its speed/torque figures are astounding!

This first video is a overview of the car and a small interview with the creator:

This second video is about it breaking the speed record for a street electric car at the texas mile:

[video=dailymotion;x2libyz]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2libyz[/video]

Here is an article going into the story in a bit more depth: The Verge-Zombie 222 Electric 1968 Mustang

hahaha....love this guy, he's an old petrol head that rekindled his passion with electric power!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Tesla's claims? WTF man. It's real world. It's NOW! Performance AND range.

You're right, wrong word.

Not sure it's an informative read, glad he likes it. Hadn't even thought about the stereo advantages, he's right but. I am constantly adjusting volume to account for speed (highway etc)

Of course they also charge off a standard 240v power socket - it just takes longer.

Yea this is definitely a winning route for daily drivers. $100,000 is still way out of my current price range, but say in comparison to the cost of a brand new HSV, if the Tesla's we're under $100,000 it is achievable. Future is here! Give it 5 - 10 years and EV will be more common on the streets hopefully, and I do not mean the Prius, cause they ugly.

hahaha....love this guy, he's an old petrol head that rekindled his passion with electric power!

Yea, can tell he loves burning rubber and going fast. Very passionate about it.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I have nothing against electric cars; my beef is with the Tesla company itself. I have absolutely no respect from a company that takes Gov money to survive. Is a very political car, heavily supported by the current administration. There is a heap of other issues like... who pays for the electricity, is free for the drivers. Takes a long time to get half a charge and in real wold the range sucks.

The one that cracks me up is, about people unplugging each other cars because not enough charge stations in the parking lot.

Is a rich-boy-douche-bag-toy-mobile than anything else.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
skydrol, there are very few, if any industries these days that aren't subsidised by government.

I'm against BIG government, government is just getting too big, too bloated and inefficient, bureaucrats stick their fingers and noses into every aspect of our lives these days, more rules, regulations and taxes than you can poke a stick at!

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Any car company that makes electric cars does not looks not even close to the Tesla (Fisker design) Model S. Fisker failed because was a foreigner car company to the US. Honestly, I despise Tesla, not electric cars. Each taxpayer owns a piece of a Tesla and does not even know it.

Yes, I do agree 100% that electric motors are more efficient than internal combustion. But to make an electric car, the cost and even the carbon footprint to manufacture the battery, that is taxed and penalized so much is even higher. Yet, they sell the so called Carbon Credit (extortion $$) because of a 0 emission car. Is a scam to high heavens.

Guys, try to build your own. I tried it and is not cost effective with today's technology.

The technology always finds its way, is not to the Gov to give them a free pass and/or throw money to their problems.