Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electric water pump

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
I'm with 383 on this

Mechanical water pump for the win, electric water pump does not give you any more HP due to the nothing is free factor, people think you gain hp goin from a mechanical water pump to a electric from parasitic loss but this isn't true as it now just puts more load on your alternator as your alt is a AC unit that then converts to DC and is actually not all that efficient at producing volts for the power it draws from engine

And 383 I have a engine temp sensor (aftermarket unit) that bolts to the head, just any bolt on the rear works that would normally be used for alt or power steering brackets but it shows me rising temps way way before water does, if I turn off my thermo fans I can see ever degree rise in temp and alarms go off at any set temp you want, this all happens way before either factory or aftermarket water temps have even moved

If I Turn fans off and at lights myn hits 100degrees in just seconds ( like 20-30 seconds from full running temp of 80-85, 90 on a really hot day) and water temp is still half way exactly where it was before I turn fans off and I'm got beeping alarms telling me it's getting hot

Can also get these to control your thermo fans as well and is way more stable then ecu controling using coolent temps

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
the only small power gains you might achieve with an electric water pump is at high rpm as the pump isn't being over driven. Might also reduce some cavitation.
But otherwise, electric pumps or any other electric device still require energy and that energy is drawn from the engine.

Also when you switch your engine off, the cooling system continues to circulate for some time afterwards, without the need for an electric pump due to a process called 'heat convection'.

Nzpure

VS L67
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vs Supa6
Yea im gunna stick with the mechanical. Yea i know, i dont know why he just pulled the thermostat instead of actually looking for the cause of the issue...

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
make sure you get one with cast impeller not the pressed steel impeller

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It's there for a reason, to slow the flow so the coolent gets a chance to cool down while in the radiator

Um, it's there so the car can reach operating temp. It opens when the engine gets to operating temp (85deg for example), it's shut until that point.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
There's a lot more to it then just open when hot and closed when cold

Even when it's open it made to the correct size to restrict the flow so it gets enough time in the radiator to cool down

Company's have done all the hard work for you by figgering this out for each vehicle make and model other wise you would have a one size fits all thermostat but you don't, they are different sizes for different flow rates and a small change makes a big difference

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
even changing to the hi flow t/stats will dramatically change the operating temps.
it actually made mine run warmer than a standard t/stat...yet those hi flow ones advertise lower cooling temps

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
There's a lot more to it then just open when hot and closed when cold

Even when it's open it made to the correct size to restrict the flow so it gets enough time in the radiator to cool down

Ah um, it's a closed system, the longer coolant stays in the radiator, the longer coolant stays in the engine (getting hotter)
It is an old assumption that the longer the coolant stays in the radiator the cooler it gets.
This is false.
This is the whole theory the thermostat works on.
Cold engine, closed thermostat.
Hotter engine gets the further the thermostat opens, to allow the coolant to flow.
Removing the thermostat out of an otherwise correctly functioning cooling system will lead to overcooling, this is documented in Holdens service publications, the company that done all the hard work.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Ore yeah so when you remove thermostat you engine will remain cold with over cooling

Sit there idling in a stationary position with no thermostat and try and tell me that after 10 mins

your gauge will be red hot from this so called over cooling