Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electric windows not working

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I recently purchased a cheap VP Calais as a weekend project, when I first received it the two right hand side electric windows did not work.

After checking the switches, I automatically assumed the regulators were old and worn out.

I've already purchased replacement regulators, before I hack into the mounting points for the current regulators, is it a common issue for these motors to just fail after time, or could it be something else?

Cheers

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Maybe check if they have power first.
Could be a break in the wire.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
last post from this thread...

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vn-vp-holden-commodore-1988-1993/216692-should-i-buy-vp-calais.html

oh btw, when i bought my vp calais, one of the back windows was stuck from not being used for a long time. i thought the regulator needed to be replaced. all i did was have someone hold the window switch down while i forced the window down manually with my palms and it came unstuck. greased up the window tracks and havent had a problem since. id give that a try before taking off door trims and drilling out pop rivets.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Yep,they fail,i was in the car trade for a while in the 1990's and every 2nd VN-VP with power windows had at least 1 not working.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
I've actually read that thread already, and tried that but it didn't work.

There's a very good chance it's just the regulators because I plugged up one of the new regulators I bought and it worked straight away.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the current regulators out!

step 1 take off door trims.
step 2 drill out pop rivets...

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
I just swapped out the regulators for VP-S for brand new ones last week. I also re-soldered the the high resistance areas on the power window module. I ran proper wiring through to new lug points created to directly replace the old lug points in the power window module connection plug. If you have power as stated previously, then it could be an unstable BCM being a Calais.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Does anyone have any pointers on how to get these rivets out? I tried drilling but the center just popped out and it's still holding on.

Attachments

• 20130607_173913.jpg
    20130607_173913.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 223