Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electric Windows

luvmycommodore

Mum's Taxi *sigh*
Reaction score
Website
ucw.com.au
Members Ride
'02 VXII Acclaim Wagon
Does anyone know much about them? My drivers side window button sticks and won't open half the time. If you press it *just* right it works.

Now i *think* the kids may have spilt something over the buttons - my question is... are the contacts for the buttons that may just need cleaning?... is it something i can do myself? and if so, what's the easiest way to get to it.

Cheers guys :)

M

mal_iboo

window switch

not sure if yours is the same as mine, but
i pulled the button mechanism apart. inside are little plastic rods..approx 15mm
one of mine was worn down for some reason. i replaced it with a piece of plastic that i shaped to the original shape of the original. i used a toothbrush handle (strange) for this. it is still going strong after 2 years.
hope this helps.
i need help with my driver side window doesn't completely close sometimes......any amswers?

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
My back passenger window would go down but not up when using the rear window button.

Upon taking the bastard switch apart I found that someone has been a little trigger happy with my berlina and shorted the contacts internally. The contacts were completely BLACK.

Cleaned the whole set of contacts with a rag and now she is all good. Although the back windows are now disabled most times to prevent a re-occurance. Yes... my friends are idiots even more so when drunk.

I hate being taxi. The answer to your question I reckon will be cleaning the contacts inside the switch. If that doesnt work then you will probably have to get a new one although unlikely I think.

luvmycommodore

Mum's Taxi *sigh*
Reaction score
Website
ucw.com.au
Members Ride
'02 VXII Acclaim Wagon
Thanks, so how do i get the surrounds off the window controls so i can have a look at it? And if it needs a professional is it a costly fix?

M

Mr Invisible 55

Window switches

Hey guys does any one else have a problem with the lights on the rear back window switches not working?
if so how do u fix them ?
is it expensive?
and can i do it my self?
thanx
RYAN!! :driving:

B J

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTS
Mr Invisible 55 said:
Hey guys does any one else have a problem with the lights on the rear back window switches not working?
if so how do u fix them ?
is it expensive?
and can i do it my self?
thanx
RYAN!! :driving:

Yes, funnily enough my rear passenger side has light in the window switch has blown twice over the past 4yrs I have owned the car tho. Because it is so long between blowing I just replace the bulb. It takes a really small LED that sits in a rubber stand that gets pushed onto two pins between the rockers inside the switch. If you take the switch apart, you will know what I mean. Just grab the LED that is in the black rubber casing and pull it straight off. You will see how the LED's terminals are wound around. I got the LED's from and electrical shop - Jaycar eg. for $2 or something. I would take the old LED with you so they can get the right one. The LED is clear as it has a little green cover. Hope this helps.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
LED???? My ones are normal everyday globes!!!

Maybe things are different in my VX? Was going to change them but couldn't be stuffed. As long as the button works up and down I am happy.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
luvmycommodore said:
Thanks, so how do i get the surrounds off the window controls so i can have a look at it? And if it needs a professional is it a costly fix?

I prised the window switch panel out with a screw driver VERY lightly. After that, you can disconnect the terminal plug at the back and the panel is all yours.

To open it up, I am unsure. I haven't done it to the front window switches before... only the back ones.

Should be some clips around the outside of it just like the ones on the back. Once you get the back-board of the switch panel out you should see whats inside.

If you do open it yourself... I would suggest a clean kitchen table or similar surface. Parts will fall out when you initially open it and these parts can be very small.

Hope this helps.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Yes I had the same problem with my back switches, dirty contacts. Cleaned and working beautifully. My drivers side stopeed working altogether. I pulled the main control deck of the centre console. Pulled her apart, the drivers brass contacts were black as. Cleaned every contact up, all windows working a treat.

luvmycommodore

Mum's Taxi *sigh*
Reaction score
Website
ucw.com.au
Members Ride
'02 VXII Acclaim Wagon
Jim that's what i need to do i think... how'd you get the surrounds off the centre consol? I don't want to break anything. TIA