Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electrical Apprenticeship wanted!

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
Well the thing is Iv'e enjoyed it heaps whilst on work placement as a part of my vcal course in 2011 and 2012, where as linesman I've never really considered so I dunno if I would like it...
I'd rather get a career doing something i enjoy, than something I don't, that's all...

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well the thing is Iv'e enjoyed it heaps whilst on work placement as a part of my vcal course in 2011 and 2012, where as linesman I've never really considered so I dunno if I would like it...
I'd rather get a career doing something i enjoy, than something I don't, that's all...

No worries mate. Hope ya find what your looking for.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
just remember. you can always change your career path.

if you get a sparky apprentice offer then take it, and if a better one comes up you can always change to that option.
also remember, at the end of your 4 years you've got an A Grade like all the others, can lead to so many extras.

also something to think of is how you want to extend that knowledge.
did you want to learn how to program electrical programs (PLC's) and maybe one day be the guy designing control programs for a car manufacturer, choc factory or so on.
would you want to go learn Hazardous areas training and HV and go work on oil rigs and mines.
could you become an elec engineer and be the top rung of the company ladder.

also don't worry bout physics, sure it might help, but so long as you can grasp maths youll be fine.

and the most important thing, as you've said you have enjoyed it.
nothing worse then doing something you wont enjoy, and by liking it your day will go by a lot faster.

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
No worries mate. Hope ya find what your looking for.

Cheers mate. Me too haha :)

just remember. you can always change your career path.

if you get a sparky apprentice offer then take it, and if a better one comes up you can always change to that option.
also remember, at the end of your 4 years you've got an A Grade like all the others, can lead to so many extras.

also something to think of is how you want to extend that knowledge.
did you want to learn how to program electrical programs (PLC's) and maybe one day be the guy designing control programs for a car manufacturer, choc factory or so on.
would you want to go learn Hazardous areas training and HV and go work on oil rigs and mines.
could you become an elec engineer and be the top rung of the company ladder.

also don't worry bout physics, sure it might help, but so long as you can grasp maths youll be fine.

and the most important thing, as you've said you have enjoyed it.
nothing worse then doing something you wont enjoy, and by liking it your day will go by a lot faster.

Yea thats so true! Heaps of good points, thanks heaps mate :)

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
up here in qld there is a massive shortage for glove and barrier guys, aka lineman.

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
I know it's hard to be picky as an apprentice, but try to get with a big company.

I know half a dozen guys who have been laid off because of no work.

Also, their pays sucks.

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
I know it's hard to be picky as an apprentice, but try to get with a big company.

Also, their pays sucks.

Is that because they work for just one person you mean?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2

Also, their pays sucks.
My son works for a big company and really gets looked after . He was sent up to Sydney for a couple of weeks to help wire up a new machine install and with all the living away from home allowances , meals allowance he was taking home 2K a week . Not bad for someone who is half way through his third year .

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
My son works for a big company and really gets looked after . He was sent up to Sydney for a couple of weeks to help wire up a new machine install and with all the living away from home allowances , meals allowance he was taking home 2K a week . Not bad for someone who is half way through his third year .

WOW really! that would be amazing haha!

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
I personally think the best place to become an electrician is somewhere rural. You learn to engineer things that do one thing do a completely different thing, sometimes better than the proper part - I hate to say it but where I work in Brisbane now all of the other city electricians are left scratching their heads at the simplest of problems whereas both myself and my boss (another country bumpkin) can always see a way to make something work.

In Brisbane I've found it's the same work over and over again, whereas this week I was off doing my own thing back in the country:

Monday: I was wiring a shop.
Tuesday: I installed a 90KW variable speed controlled 3 phase pump.
Wednesday: I'm whacking in a few power poles hanging a new aerial service with Ergon.
Thursday: 10KW solar system install
Friday: installed 2 air conditioners.

A bit of diversity always keeps you enjoying work.