Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electrical Apprenticeship wanted!

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone on here is or knows someone who is a sparky in the S.E melbourne suburbs who is looking for an apprentice?
I have my license
I have my own car
I have finished Year 12
I have a bit of experience doing electrical

Just really want to start working/get an apprenticeship after a friends thing fell through, or anyone can advise help would also be greatly appreciated!

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
NECA aptitude test. (will be in about Oct though)
best option for a large company if you don't know anyone already in there.
most only take apps through that option.

otherwise go through the yellow pages, white pages, NECA Website (they have a find a contractor thing)
take note of all the companies and call them, send in resumes.
even ask if you can do some work experience with them to get real/more experience which could lead to a job.

also while your waiting go do a pre app.
it will help majorly, and sometimes the teachers at Tafe may know some companies that need apps.

Goodluck.

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
NECA aptitude test. (will be in about Oct though)
best option for a large company if you don't know anyone already in there.
most only take apps through that option.

otherwise go through the yellow pages, white pages, NECA Website (they have a find a contractor thing)
take note of all the companies and call them, send in resumes.
even ask if you can do some work experience with them to get real experience.

also while your waiting go do a pre app.
it will help majorly, and sometimes the teachers at Tafe may know some companies that need apps.

Goodluck.

Thanks heaps for that, yeah if I had of known I would have been waiting till April I would have done a pre-app already -.- seeing as I was ment to start mid Jan... so frustrated!
Thanks again for the info, i'll look into it :)

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ever thought about becoming an electrical linesman? Great industry with huge earning potential, varied, interesting and physical work and always in different places. Recently moved here from NZ for my Job. It's a 4 year apprenticeship here, might be easier to get into than a sparky.

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
thats the powerlines and stuff yeah? a couple of mates just went into that..

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
and i like to do electrical in like houses and stuff, like i actually enjoy it

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea that's the one mate. Just something to think about. I've been doing it just over 4 years. Best job I've ever had and can't imagine doing anything else.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
pfft houses.... :p
do you really want to be crawling in someone elses roof or under the floor
or do you want to work in some varied environments and get to use some interesting tools and work with cables larger then your arms :p

I work in the later.
some of the jobs are frustrating, other places are just a woah moment because you get to see so much.
trust me, aim for commercial/industrial, so many extra skills you can learn and so many extra oppurtunities are available to you.
example: High Voltage Industrial Installations. not sure about you, but I don't know of many domestic guys that work with HV

and do you live on your phone every minute of your day?
If yes, learn to live without it.
otherwise you may find a boss uses it as nailgun, Golf or sledgehammer practice.

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
Yea that's the one mate. Just something to think about. I've been doing it just over 4 years. Best job I've ever had and can't imagine doing anything else.

is that the linesman? :)

pfft houses.... :p
do you really want to be crawling in someone elses roof or under the floor
or do you want to work in some varied environments and get to use some interesting tools and work with cables larger then your arms :p

I work in the later.
some of the jobs are frustrating, other places are just a woah moment because you get to see so much.
trust me, aim for commercial/industrial, so many extra skills you can learn and so many extra oppurtunities are available to you.
example: High Voltage Industrial Installations. not sure about you, but I don't know of many domestic guys that work with HV

and do you live on your phone every minute of your day?
If yes, learn to live without it.
otherwise you may find a boss uses it as nailgun, Golf or sledgehammer practice.

i actually dont mind it... haha ! i guess id have to try the linesman thing though to get a feel for it

Hmm im not sure, i know theres a lot more to the mathematical side of this, correct?