Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

electrical challenges vp

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by ringfeder3, Jun 20, 2018.

1. ringfeder3

ringfeder3 Member

Members Ride:
    2017 colorado, 96 vs v8 ute, suzuki gsx1400
    i have browsed the threads which relate to the electrical problems i am experiencing but they were mostly written years back when vn-vps were much younger. i'd reckon that more deterioration has occurred and solutions might have changed or improved...

so here goes:

i recently bought a vp v6 bt1. original and runs well. had been sitting for 18 months and i don't believe the previous owner of 16 years was particularly bothered by these little annoyances.

firstly, the central locking is not working. i have three sets of keys. the red light flashes on one of them when the button is pressed but there appears to be no lock/unlocking action. fuse is fine. should i replace a remote battery before i dismantle doors etc? i recently repaired some vs locks and it was a pain in the arse. is it feasible that the problem may be minor and that the locks are still sericeable after nearly 30 years?

secondly, the mirrors don't move at all. again, could it be as simple as a corroded switch? the fuse is ok.

i know vps are old now but i have a soft spot for them and love things working as they should.

any suggestions to sort these few problems would be much appreciated.

2. MikeC

MikeC Member

Members Ride:
    VQ Statesman
    I'd try the simple stuff before I looked at replacing the window/mirror motors. The last remote battery I got at Bunnings for a few cents.

Break the electrical connectors and spray with WD40 then reconnect. Personally, I use a cheap multimeter to check each connector and switch.

Work the switches a few times and see if it cleans their contacts. Note I've had no luck opening up switch bodies, they're so old now plastic parts break when you disassemble them.

Sometimes the window motors can be freed up by directly connecting the connectors in the door to a 12V supply from a battery/large battery charger and driving the window up and down .

My rear passenger side window sticks if I don't use it every few days. You used to be able to get kits to replace the motors that included bolts to replace the rivets that have to be drilled out.

Instructions to do the window motors are on this VP section of the forum , complete with pretty good photos.

3. ringfeder3

ringfeder3 Member

Members Ride:
    thanks mike. it has manual windows, it's the locking and mirrors that are playing up..

4. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    If the mirror switch is like the VR one they are repairable. You need to dismantle the switch on a kitchen bench or table as thete are a few springs inside. You need to clean up the contacts with contact cleaner. Then you need to apply a tiny bit of carbon conductive grease to the posts. The switch should then work.

5. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I had a non-functioning central locking and I had NFI where the problem was. Instead of spending hours trying figure it out i spent 25 bucks and installed a new kit. Works great 6 months on.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  6. ringfeder3

ringfeder3 Member

Members Ride:
    25 bucks? where from? are they hard to install? the front doors lock manually but the rears click and do nothing. that's with the key into drivers door..

7. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    eBay was 27 but i got it for 25. Easy to install. Only tricky bit is feeding the cables through the door boot.

8. ringfeder3

ringfeder3 Member

Members Ride:
    do the actuators mount up and connect to the factory locks alright?

9. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yes they fit in the same spot

10. ringfeder3

ringfeder3 Member

Members Ride:
    that would certainly save some dramas...thanks

11. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Only thing I would add is make sure you have the little plastic extensions where the eye of the actuator hooks on to the lock mechanism. I had to make some because the metal hooks on their own are not long enough and the eye can jump off.

12. ringfeder3

ringfeder3 Member

Members Ride:
    update: i pulled mirror switch out and tested plug on loom to see whether there was any power output....nothing. i checked to see if cruise control would switch on....nothing there either. i believe that these are on the same circuit. if fuse is alright, where should i start looking? (i do plan to disassemble the mirror switch and clean and lubricate it). i will get to the licking later.. .

13. ringfeder3

ringfeder3 Member

Members Ride:
    got power to pink wire that mirror switch plugs into and i have dissassembled and cleaned 2 switches with no success. in fact, i have blown the mirror fuse twice.... should there be power to more than the pink wire in that loom? do the mirror motors fail? the car has sat outdoors for 2 years unloved...

14. FXST01

FXST01 The Grey Man

Members Ride:
    VP V6 Exec
  15. ringfeder3

ringfeder3 Member

Members Ride:
    thanks fxt. i double checked all wiring, cleaned all contacts, rebuilt switch #4, lubricated mirror motors, replaced fuse and 'voila'.....mirrors work. i did have some spare mirrors on standby but they were off a vs. interestingly, vp mirrors have 3 wires on a long lead and vs have 4 wires on a short one. i'm not even gonna try and work rhat one out....

losh1971 likes this.
  16. ringfeder3

ringfeder3 Member

Members Ride:
    back to locking again. security switch in door is set to 'off'. new battery in remote. absolutely no action from locks at all. if i insert key into driver's lock, it manually unlocks front doors together and rear locks make noise but do nothing....

suggestions?

17. FXST01

FXST01 The Grey Man

Members Ride:
    VP V6 Exec
    Check your remote, especially the battery prongs, on mine one had broken the solder joint.

18. ringfeder3

ringfeder3 Member

Members Ride:
    should i turn the security off?