Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

electrical challenges vp

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssz crewman, wm caprice, 2018 prado, hq Belmont u
i have browsed the threads which relate to the electrical problems i am experiencing but they were mostly written years back when vn-vps were much younger. i'd reckon that more deterioration has occurred and solutions might have changed or improved...

so here goes:

i recently bought a vp v6 bt1. original and runs well. had been sitting for 18 months and i don't believe the previous owner of 16 years was particularly bothered by these little annoyances.

firstly, the central locking is not working. i have three sets of keys. the red light flashes on one of them when the button is pressed but there appears to be no lock/unlocking action. fuse is fine. should i replace a remote battery before i dismantle doors etc? i recently repaired some vs locks and it was a pain in the arse. is it feasible that the problem may be minor and that the locks are still sericeable after nearly 30 years?

secondly, the mirrors don't move at all. again, could it be as simple as a corroded switch? the fuse is ok.

i know vps are old now but i have a soft spot for them and love things working as they should.

any suggestions to sort these few problems would be much appreciated.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I'd try the simple stuff before I looked at replacing the window/mirror motors. The last remote battery I got at Bunnings for a few cents.

Break the electrical connectors and spray with WD40 then reconnect. Personally, I use a cheap multimeter to check each connector and switch.

Work the switches a few times and see if it cleans their contacts. Note I've had no luck opening up switch bodies, they're so old now plastic parts break when you disassemble them.

Sometimes the window motors can be freed up by directly connecting the connectors in the door to a 12V supply from a battery/large battery charger and driving the window up and down .

My rear passenger side window sticks if I don't use it every few days. You used to be able to get kits to replace the motors that included bolts to replace the rivets that have to be drilled out.

Instructions to do the window motors are on this VP section of the forum , complete with pretty good photos.

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks mike. it has manual windows, it's the locking and mirrors that are playing up..

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the mirror switch is like the VR one they are repairable. You need to dismantle the switch on a kitchen bench or table as thete are a few springs inside. You need to clean up the contacts with contact cleaner. Then you need to apply a tiny bit of carbon conductive grease to the posts. The switch should then work.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had a non-functioning central locking and I had NFI where the problem was. Instead of spending hours trying figure it out i spent 25 bucks and installed a new kit. Works great 6 months on.

Last edited:

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
25 bucks? where from? are they hard to install? the front doors lock manually but the rears click and do nothing. that's with the key into drivers door..

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
eBay was 27 but i got it for 25. Easy to install. Only tricky bit is feeding the cables through the door boot.

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
do the actuators mount up and connect to the factory locks alright?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes they fit in the same spot

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
that would certainly save some dramas...thanks