Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electrical experience needed

Thorpee85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve anniversary 08
Hi, quick question for anyone with electrical audio experience...

I have a ve commodore that I have just purchased and been having issues with the electrical connections in the headunit. Whilst taking son to football this morning the complete headunit and screen went black and never came back, have no controls on radio, can't control AC, hazard lights don't work so the headunit has died. It had been doing this on and off for a few weeks now sporadically.

Upon discovery today the guy I brought the car from had for some reason been inserting coins in the cd player (found 85c in 5 coins), why someone does this confused me but anyway lol.

Question to the knowledgeable, if this has fried my headunit which I am taking it has.. then there will be power running to the wiring harness that plugs into the headunit... If it is a blown fuse or a relay there will be no power at this point? So I can simply run a multimeter on this point and see if there is power?

Just trying to work backwards on where / what the problem may be.

Appreciate your time and feedback, thankyou

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Upon discovery today the guy I brought the car from had for some reason been inserting coins in the cd player (found 85c in 5 coins), why someone does this confused me but anyway lol.

WTF!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hi, quick question for anyone with electrical audio experience...

I have a ve commodore that I have just purchased and been having issues with the electrical connections in the headunit. Whilst taking son to football this morning the complete headunit and screen went black and never came back, have no controls on radio, can't control AC, hazard lights don't work so the headunit has died. It had been doing this on and off for a few weeks now sporadically.

Question to the knowledgeable, if this has fried my headunit which I am taking it has.. then there will be power running to the wiring harness that plugs into the headunit... If it is a blown fuse or a relay there will be no power at this point? So I can simply run a multimeter on this point and see if there is power?

Just trying to work backwards on where / what the problem may be.

Appreciate your time and feedback, thankyou
Have you checked all the fuses to see if any have blown and need replacing? I would suspect a fuse has blown somewhere.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Possibly one of his children inserting the coins.

I think (not 100% sure) is there a fuse on the rear of the head unit, I maybe wrong,
but the VY - VZ’s had a 10 amp fuse on the rear.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Make sure the head unit facia is seated properly.

Thorpee85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve anniversary 08
I am not very useful when it comes to electrical problem identifying.. I have pulled the dash and glovebox apart, followed another thread to remove the headunit to follow the electrical wiring. Only fuse I was able to find is the fuse attached to the positive terminal of the battery and then another 25amp fuse in the side of the stereo where the wiring harness plugs into.

Every chance I have missed one, are there others you are aware of?

Thanks for your help.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
think there is a fuse in the boot for entertainment, may only be constant power too it also

Thorpee85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve anniversary 08
think there is a fuse in the boot for entertainment, may only be constant power too it also

Is that in the black enclosed box near the battery? I didn't want to open that as it seemed sealed to not be opened? Wasn't sure so wasn't going to play with whatever the hell that thing is lol.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea that's it should have clip each side just press on them as u pull cover out

Thorpee85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve anniversary 08
Hi Guys, thanks for all your feedback.. I have found and pulled out / swapped over the fuse sitting in the black box near the battery and still no go. Facia is sitting correctly as it "clicks" in to the metal plate on the front of the headunit.

Does the unit have a seperate ground wire that may have come loose? I can't seem to find one as all the wiring runs together from what I can see. There is no where on the unit that a seperate ground wire attaches to...

Clutching at straws now before having to go into the hassle of replacing unit with an aftermarket system.

Thanks again.