Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electrical Issue no clue

Nate2409

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sports wagon
Hi Guys,

Long time reader, First post.

Last few weeks I've been having an electrical issue with my car.

When I first try to start the car the entire car dies and there is no power and I have to jump it.,
The car drives fine and the charge level is showing 14.5 volts. The battery has been tested and is fine and there is no code coming up on the diag tool.
But mainly today I noticed that the dash started flashing on and off.

Another time it went completely dead and i was just sitting in my car with the key in and suddenly the car came alive again and started fine without a jump start.

I have an after market system professionally installed I have since disconnected the sub and AMP but the car seems to just die. Even tried taking the battery out topping up the water and charging it to full over night. Has anyone else come across this issue?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
You have had the battery out so must assume you cleaned terminal posts and clamps before refitting so there may be a loose/poor connection elsewhere.
Was the battery load tested or just static tested.
Start with finding the earth connections to engine and body and, with the battery disconnected, remove, clean, and refit the connections to the body and engine.
From there you may have to disconnect the main power lead to the starter and also alternator and again clean and refit.
Clean with emery cloth/ sandpaper etc.
Always with the battery disconnected.

Nate2409

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sports wagon
Thank you all for the replies. It turned out to be as simple as worn out battery terminals. They both have been replaced and this issue has stopped since.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I find it interesting, assuming the car in questions is a VF, as the VF's are still relatively still a newish model, and the battery terminals are not subject to outside elements.
One would expect the issue on a old car,
Well I guess, never assume !

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I find it interesting, assuming the car in questions is a VF, as the VF's are still relatively still a newish model, and the battery terminals are not subject to outside elements.
One would expect the issue on a old car,
Well I guess, never assume !
Assuming the OP is referring to the clamps on the battery leads, I can see where, if they were not serviced on a regular basis
i.e removed, cleaned, then refitted correctly maybe once a year, then they could cause problems.
A lot of battery installers DO NOT do this even when fitting a new battery and most people fitting a new battery themselves have no idea of the cleaning and fitting process for batteries.

So note to all who are interested, on New Years Day give your car a present and remove/clean/refit the clamps and check for connection problems OR
next week take the car to your dealer/mechanic/auto leckie and ask for the work to be done,

Every car is, after all, having a birthday today.

So Happy New Year to all and
Happy Birthday to all Cars
He He He HE

Last edited: