Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

electrical issue with Holden Vectra

stevevw

Reaction score
Members Ride
GL Vectra 2.2
Hi, I am not sure this is the right section to post this as my car is a Vectra. But I cant seem to find any thread for a Holden Vectra.

I am pretty sure the problem with my car is electrical as I had the RACQ come out and the man said it was either a relay or sensor problem. But he couldn't get any codes up when he was diagnosing this as the code reader doesn't work either which I assume is related to the electrical problem.

So it started with small issues like one headlight staying on when I turned car off. I had to either turn the ignition on and off again or even flick blinker on and off to turn the headlight off. Then the speedo needle stopped working and was vibrating around zero. Then the taco stopped working. The readings on the dash monitor which normally shows a range of things like how many kilometers left before petrol runs out, outside temperature or will bring up something that needs checking light brake lights was also going crazy and throwing up erratic messages. Next the fuel and temperature gauges stopped working and were acting erratic. They would go from the correct levels to zero and then back again and then stay at zero. Sometimes they would go back to normal if I put the lights on or the blinkers on sometimes. Lastly all the dash lights came on all the time but occasionally would go off except for the engine light. Then I lost power in the auto transmission. I think it may be in limp mode. But this would occasionally come good and I would get full power back.

The RACQ rep said it could be a relay that is related to all these things. Or it could be one along a line that affects all these issues. But I can't understand why the transmission would suddenly go as well. Is there a sensor or relay that can affect this. Could it be a sensor like a speed, crank sensor or throttle sensor that is affected at the same time by coincidence. Or is this happening because of a electrical problem in a relay thats affecting a few sensors. It may be a communication problem because the main computer (ECU) is being affected. Or could it be the cluster which is affecting which I read about because it can connect many things electrically. I am totally confused and don't know where to start. So I thought if someone knows something about these issues they could point me in the right direction. The problem is because you can't get a diagnostic reading to show what codes it is you have to find the issue manually.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Could be an earth point also worthwhile checking the voltage output of the alternator.