Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electrical problem got me stumped 308 V8

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
This morning I turned the key and nothing happened. No dash lights or any sort of ignition system working. I had a look around and I found no problem. The RACV came and he had a look and pressed the horn, then the ignition switched on.

Before he came, I turned the headlights on and used the high beam on the stalk and I heard my gas solenoid turn on and off.

Any ideas what might be the problem? Strange.

Thanks.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
sounds like either dodgy connection or bad earth. Maybe clean all earth points and see what happens?

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Is your battery flat? maybe u left something on..

Check fuses.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
The battery and fuses are the first things you check. I then checked the terminals and earths, everything is fine. Half the wiring in my car is new. It's like pressing the horn made a load on the battery and it came to life. :confused:

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
sounds like a electric fault in the steering column.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
sounds like a electric fault in the steering column.

I thought at first the ignition switch/ barrel might have been faulty. I was hoping of course it wasn't that. If the indicator stalk was turning my gas solenoid on and off when high beams were used, maybe it is a bad earth somewhere around where the column is. This is going to be a real prick to pinpoint. Who knows, it might not ever happen again. I re-wired half of the loom and did a mass of wiring jobs a while back.

Cheers. :thumbsup: