Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electrical problem

333VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina V8
hey i don't know if anyone has had this problem with their car but it seems when I put my foot on the brake, the indicators come on and stay on until i take my foot off. The indicators dont click on-off, just stay on. Then when i indicate, the indicator comes on as usual until i brake then both stay on. As funny as it is its annoying in traffic. Anyone have a clue to what piece of electrics may be doing this?

Cheers

James

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
on mine, the headlights flash when the ign is turned off with foot on brake, apparently an earth problem, the answer might be to pull all wiring plugs apart, spray with contact cleaner and look for corrosion

early commodores had a reputation for very poor wiring, perhaps it was better on the VL
yazaki made it all at seaford Vic but later went off shore to fiji

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I'd be going straight to the wiring for your brake lights in the boot. If you follow the wires, it comes out of the headlights, then it travels to the drivers side of the car, clipped up under the panel there before it goes back into the car will be a connector.

Now I'm fairly sure its black wire that you want to check, it may be loose or missing, in my case it was missing so it was easy to distinguish. If you have enough cable to cut it/ restrip it, solder and electrical tape, do it. If not you may need to get another piece of wire, but just as a test you can still hold t he two pieces together and put the brakes on.

wagonb0y

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5speed turbo
I had the exact same problem, it was the main clip on mine, every little bump would set it of aswell, at the moment i put a cable tie through the middel of them and pulled it tight, i have another one just havent been bothered to put it on tho, hope that helps

333VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina V8
sweet thanks, ill have a lok at it tonight...

Cheers

james

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
hey i don't know if anyone has had this problem with their car but it seems when I put my foot on the brake, the indicators come on and stay on until i take my foot off. The indicators dont click on-off, just stay on. Then when i indicate, the indicator comes on as usual until i brake then both stay on. As funny as it is its annoying in traffic. Anyone have a clue to what piece of electrics may be doing this?

Cheers

James

Bad earth in the boot 99% of the time..:thumbsup:

333VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina V8
I just moved around a few wires in my boot and it worked for a little bit, but then stopped. I probably should have mentioned by battery is in the boot... Does anyone know where the rear lights ground as I can't seem to find it.

Cheers

James

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Where I described above.

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
yes i agree with what bax said.l

if it isnt that...
does your break lights come on with you indicate?
it it isnt solved in the rear end of the car then i imagine its going to get quite tricky.

if you have had a stereo installed of a kill switch, something electrical could have been connected incorrectly

mercury2006a

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK custom
ewww well ill start this off with a story i was working 115km's away from home with a good mate and he decided to buy a VL wagon he got it (told him not to) got it down to work and then told me the volts guage wasnt working and asked me to fix that and a few other wiring problems.

well after pulling the dash out i looked down the back and saw black burnt wiring loom and melted stuff all over i looked and was totaly amazed that it started or run at all let alone just having a couple of smallish problems.

anywho i decided i would help him out and go to the wreckers grab the drivers side section of loom and splice it in..

to my surprise i was hard pressed to actually find a vl without burnt wiring

i thought ok just coincidence then 5 months later he buys another vl wagon for parts a berlina like his and low and behold what do i find under the dash? burnt wiring melted stuff yucky

anyone else seen this kinda stuff? so far from what i have researched its to do with the headlights and the very light wiring for the stalk and whatnot i thank god my wiring in my vk is mostly my own.