Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electrical Problems - VP S1 Calais

DerekL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V S1
Hi - I have a few electrical problems with the VP Calais that I am fixing up. The main ones being the lack of headlights and the drivers power window. They are all sort of pointing to the BCM, but I have a spare BCM and the symptoms are all the same with it fitted as well.

Any suggestions on how to confirm that the BCM is the problem or is there something else that I should be looking at?

Thanks,

Derek

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
A bit brief, but what you tried? Checked relays and fuses? Your earths are good?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I agree with the Grey Man. And check you have a good battery and connections.
As far as I know, the only headlight function the BCM controls is the auto lights off.
Try driving the window motor up and down by feeding 12V directly to the plug inside the drivers door. Even then a lot of window motors are feeling their age- a small voltage drop stops them dead. I've had to replace my rear passenger side motor even though I could drive it from the door plug. These days , all of my windows require a monthly spray with Nulon Ezy Glide or they stick.
To fully test a BCM you need a GMH Tech 1 tester - which is expensive.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The Door window could be just a bad switch, clean the contacts in the switch, then try if no change jump the wire from the kickboard to the window reg, if its better then you have a break between the door jam, if not it might need a new motor or complete changeover.. A Multimeter be handy to test the volts, your headlights could be a bad earth to a bad globe, depending on what your saying again multimeter be handy..

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Try and clean the window switches without disassembling them- they were never made to be pulled apart for cleaning- the plastic bits break.

Try contact cleaner with the spray tube from outside.

DerekL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V S1
Ok... Thanks for the feedback.

I have already tested most of these things - the window motor works when power is applied directly to it and the switch also seems good (checked with multi-meter) and something under the dash clicks when you press the button... I guess that it could be a broken wire, which I will test for tomorrow...

The headlights are powered through the BCM - for the BCM to auto power off the lights, it needs to be switching them under all conditions... This is how I read the circuit diagram as well...

I have checked fuses / relays / earths etc...

Do these BCMs have a reputation for being problematic?

Thanks,

Derek

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The tick noise is the relay inside the bcm activating, only way to see if its getting 12v to the regulator is removing the door card and testing the power when you push the switch, you can also just run 12v off a battery to test regulator. The Auto off is controlled by your interior light ones your door opens the lights go out, when you say lack of lights is what exactly? With your lights on you need to test at the light to see if its earth or power issue..

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
when i had my vp calais the drivers power window stopped working turned out to be a broken wire within the door jamb. i had to strip the whole door wiring harness to find the break

Comcal76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP v6
VP Calais has a power window control module also, so that could be what you hear clicking.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Do cars that have a BCM also have a power window control module?