Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electronic brake controller

lamb_daiquiri

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportwagon
Has anyone fitted an EBC themselves? I want to know the easiest place to take a switched 20A +ve feed for the EBC. The rest of it looks pretty straight forward.

Clarkemck

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais v
Well I fitted the Redarc today no major problems, ran the extension wire inside the passenger side door sill. I installed the remote head just on the LHS of the lights switch/module, awkward to get to for someone like me with fat fingers but achievable. I mounted the controller just in front of the LHS taillights, wires supplied reached the positive on the battery (which was the farthest connection point). There was one minor problem, it was mentioned earlier in this discussion about the colours of the wires in the Holden loom, I found the plug but the two wires were blue and the other black/white tracer, according to an earlier post the black one was quoted as purple (Gottavecalaisv). The blue wire is definitely for the trailer brakes but the black one doesn't have 12v on it when the brake lights are on. It is only a fairly light wire, that would suggest it is for data(can bus), so does the Redarc accept Can-bus?
I have come to a halt, I will have to chase info tomorrow. The controller, the extension cable and the remote head are all installed, just waiting to find out about this wire before I connect and power it up.
Hey, I'm currently doing this install in my VF wagon at the moment and at the same point of the install. Just wondering how you got on with the brake signal wire? Cheers

hamdan444

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf sv6 wagon
Hey, I'm currently doing this install in my VF wagon at the moment and at the same point of the install. Just wondering how you got on with the brake signal wire? Cheers

Hey Mate,
How'd you go with the install? my vf has an aftermarket towbar fitted (carasel) so im not sure where to get the brake signal from.

Attachments

• 259022683_3062096480679145_6382901189651555656_n.jpg
    259022683_3062096480679145_6382901189651555656_n.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 137

Clarkemck

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais v
Hey Mate,
How'd you go with the install? my vf has an aftermarket towbar fitted (carasel) so im not sure where to get the brake signal from.

Hey bud,

My one was a touch easier as my factory trailer harness had a connector with 2 wires (Blue- trailer brake and purple-stop lights) taped up to the loom, obviously prewired for an electric brake controller.

By the looks of your trailer wiring harness, I'd first suss out those taped up connectors with a test light to see if any power up when you put your foot on the brake, might be able to use it as your brake signal if any work.
Otherwise I'd look at opening up the trailer wiring loom there in the battery box area and splice the red wire there (id suggest to use a redarc EPD here if using a redarc system) it's easier to get the signal from in this compartment than to stuff around pulling up a signal wire from the trailer socket or cutting splicing into a brake light wire.
Just my suggestions to keep it as neat and not tamper with any of the cars wiring.
Hope this helps a little...

2017VFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF SS sedan
I also used the wires in the factory trailer harness connector (Blue- trailer brake and purple-stop lights). I found the instruction to use these wires in the Holden instructions left behind in the car after the fitting of the OEM towbar. I had a V3 Redarc Tow Pro fitted near the battery and had the control knob fitted onto the steering cover. I purchased a 6m remote head wiring loom Redarc part No. RHWK-006 directly from Redarc Electronics to complete the installation. This setup worked well in towing a 1.6 tonne full size caravan around Australia.

Reactions: Lex

2017VFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF SS sedan
I left the car at the auto electricians before work with instructions to install the switch on the panel below the headlight switch or on the door panel above the boot release. It was not installed where I asked and I did not complain as the whole job was very neat and everything else was done as requested including the installation of a grey Anderson plug with a relay to prevent the supply of 12V to the caravan fridge without the ignition on and the installation of a red Anderson plug to operate the caravan's ESC braking.

Attachments

• Redarc.png
    Redarc.png
    367.1 KB · Views: 128

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Looks like it might be a pain if someone goes to move the steering wheel. I’d forget its there, be cleaning the inside of the car and go to move the wheel to clean the dash and alot of expletives would follow.

Last edited:

2017VFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF SS sedan
I had no issues with the location of the switch. Covered 16,000kms towing and the 6.2litre pulled well.

Attachments

• Commodore.Avan2019-2.jpg
    Commodore.Avan2019-2.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 97