Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electronic brake controller

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Towed a few of the biggest new vans up and down the east coast with a 100 series and these things make it a breeze. When adjusted perfect you brake then feel the rigs brakes apply. Towed a monster food outlet thing that required us to fit load stabiliser bars to the Toyota and upped the thing to save the car brakes. Highly recommended.

DEVOJET

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Crewman SS
I have installed a Tekonsha P3 in my last 2 VE wagons using the factory loom that I purchased as a spare part. I just took delivery of my VF and they have changed the wiring a bit from the VE so the VE brake controller loom doesnt suit but could be modified. The dealer I spoke to also said they didn't have a loom listed for the VF or the required connector.

I have ordered a new Redarc Tow pro as the remote head will be easier to install and the main unit can be mounted near the battery to keep the wiring short.

Next to the battery in the VF trailer light loom is a 2 pin connector which has the blue wire for the trailer brakes and the brake light signal for the controller. I havent been able to source the mating connector so may have to cut it off and use my own connector. Does anyone know where the connector could be purchased?
The only other connections a brake controller needs is battery positive and ground.

Regards
Daniel

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Hi all,

I'm getting a 2100kg bar/hitch package fitted this week and maybe a Redarc Tow Pro (if required).
If I didn't use a brake controller with a trailer equipped with electronic brakes what exactly happens when brakes in car are applied?
I'm guessing you get the same trailer brake pressure (mid range) no matter what pressure your car brakes are receiving, only guessing though.
I've done plenty of towing, but only at work in large trucks with brake controllers so I'm clueless to everyday car towing.
Also, in regards to what I think Christov (on page 1 of this thread) was referring to, was the trailer sway control that the VF has.
So what happens when your plugged into a trailer with brakes and maybe have a brake controller?
Is the electronic sway control sending any info to the trailer and if not would the trailer brakes and controllers get in the road (so to speak) of the effectiveness of electronic sway control that the VF has, for example, if the sway control is bringing a trailer into line using different braking pressures to either 2 axels or 4 wheels (not sure) what info is it sending to the trailer brakes.

I guess to sum it up, are trailer brakes and/or brake controllers going to interfere with the VF's sway control.

Any comments and thoughts appreciated from Tow Masters or rookies like myself.

vf sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfsv6-vx calais
had a p3 fitted to my vf sv6 I supplied the unit and they fitted for me cost $175 to fit easy job for them about 2 hours work.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Yes I think the Tekonsha P3 is the best one, I've seen some articles on brake controllers in a caravan mag and they suggest the better controllers are pendulum type solid state. Pendulum type will mean the controller needs to be mounted such that it's in line with direction of travel and with limits as to angle it is mounted. The Tekonsha P3 needs to be mounted with this in mind, whereas as Redarcs don't have pendulum, you can mount them how you like. No pendulum means the braking output voltage is constant, it doesn't vary with the cars braking, so a light dab on the cars brakes will still have the same braking effect as a hard brake application. The Tekonsha P3, P2 and Primus IQ all are pendulum types. I had a P3 in my SV6 I traded just before Christmas - I removed it from the SV6 and will put it in the SS (replacing a lesser controller already fitted in my VE SS). I found also you can mount a P3 in the forward console space under the vent controls (I put a piece of I think 19mm thick timber under the mounting bracket which I turned downwards and it is a very tight fit, doesn't move at all).

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
There's always this if you don't tow often,don't know what it's like

a Portable EBC, handy

Portable Electric Brake Controller DIY | eBay

$_12.JPG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
Hi fellas, i am just about to buy a Redarc and fit it, i found the coupling next to the battery it has a blue wire and a purple which i presume is the brake supply (purple) and brake output to trailer plug (blue wire) i'll let you know how i go

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The VF has a trailer sway control feature which is presumable part of the ABS system. So how does this sway control feature actually work and is it only intended for small in braked box trailers?

Also, if Holden sell 2100kg towbars, and there a legal requirement that such heaven trailers have a braking system as such, how does VF sway control work with these heaven electric brakes trailers?

Surely Holden must have something to say on the matter, not those idiots at HCC or the sales/service at the dealership but the Holden technical people that designed the actual vehicle?

Just can’t believe that there is no Holden technical info about sway control and electric trailer brakes.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
The VF has a trailer sway control feature which is presumable part of the ABS system. So how does this sway control feature actually work and is it only intended for small in braked box trailers?

Also, if Holden sell 2100kg towbars, and there a legal requirement that such heaven trailers have a braking system as such, how does VF sway control work with these heaven electric brakes trailers?

Surely Holden must have something to say on the matter, not those idiots at HCC or the sales/service at the dealership but the Holden technical people that designed the actual vehicle?

Just can’t believe that there is no Holden technical info about sway control and electric trailer brakes.

Was having the same thoughts 6 posts above.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I think that the sway control is part of the stability control rather than the abs.

My understanding is that when it detects the car swaying, it applies the brakes, but only on one side of the car with the aim to dampen the swaying motion. I don’t think that it attempts to brake the trailer as such.