Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electronic brake controller

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I think that the sway control is part of the stability control rather than the abs.

My understanding is that when it detects the car swaying, it applies the brakes, but only on one side of the car with the aim to dampen the swaying motion. I don’t think that it attempts to brake the trailer as such.
Yeah, if I was thinking I’d have realised that it would be part of stability control but that uses ABS system to apply the brakes so I was partly correct, maybe :p

What would be the point of selective vehicle brake application with a 2 tonne trailer trying to overtake the towing vehicle as it sounds like a loosing battle to me :oops:

I would have thought it would be much more effective if trailer sway control also integrated some electronic trailer brake feedback so that the vehicle stability control system also applies some trailer braking to pull the trailer in line with the vehicle... maybe they just never got around to releasing an electronic trailer brake controller of their own...

(edited to add brake above)

Last edited:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Yeah, if I was thinking I’d have realised that it would be part of stability control but that uses ABS system to apply the brakes so I was partly correct, maybe :p

What would be the point of selective vehicle application with a 2 tonne trailer trying to overtake the towing vehicle as it sounds like a loosing battle to me :oops:

I would have thought it would be much more effective if trailer sway control also integrated some electronic trailer brake feedback so that the vehicle stability control system also applies some trailer braking to pull the trailer in line with the vehicle... maybe they just never got around to releasing an electronic trailer brake controller of their own...

I agree - it would make more sense for system to be able apply the trailer brake to damping the sway. And it would have been great if Holden actually fitted a proper trailer brake controller as part of the vehicle and stability system.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
Hi again, i ran a test light onto the purple wire and it is powered when i apply the brakes, that is good news and will make for an easy fitting of the redarc controller.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I interesting developements seem to have occurred with trailerbrake and stability control systems since I bought my small I braked box trailer so so many years ago.

Some light reading for those inquisitive towers

LMS stability control
Dexeter sway control
AL-KO ESC
ESC vrs DSC sway control test

(again having to add a few carriage returns to get access to the poet reply button hidden by the stupid add pop up on my iPad - seriously, the moderators need to get this looked into)

Seems GM/H may have lost an opportunity to sell a vehicle with well integrated trailer control system that actually hooked up to trailer electronics to also control its brakes to make a well integrated best in class tow vehicle and trailer package.

Anyway if you don’t want to read the above, just watch the Boca video below

Last edited:

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
Has anyone got any pictures of where they fitted the unit and controller knob, is it a basic plug and play into harness, I have a 2100kg genuine Holden bar with wiring harness and module on a Calais?

Mik 030

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V LS3 series 2 wagon
Has anyone got any pictures of where they fitted the unit and controller knob, is it a basic plug and play into harness, I have a 2100kg genuine Holden bar with wiring harness and module on a Calais?

The control unit is out of the way, but is easily reached and operated.
Michael

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 431

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
The control unit is out of the way, but is easily reached and operated.
Michael
Is that a Redarc one and did it wire up easy or had to run wires to the plug and not in the existing harness?

Mik 030

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V LS3 series 2 wagon
Is that a Redarc one and did it wire up easy or had to run wires to the plug and not in the existing harness?

The Redarc unit is the Tow-Pro Elite and is very simple and effective to use. It's the best I've owned. Had it installed by a 4wd company, so can't help with requested detail.

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Commodore
I have just purchased a Redarc TowPro V3 and plan to install it in my VF SV6 sedan. I have also purchased the 6m extension lead from Redarc so that I can fit the controller near the battery in the boot and have the Remote Head somewhere near the drivers area. My towbar is rated at max 2100kg ATM when WDH are attached. My problem is, has anyone done the same to their car? If so, where did you route the extension cable between the two units and where did you place the Remote Head?

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Commodore
Well I fitted the Redarc today no major problems, ran the extension wire inside the passenger side door sill. I installed the remote head just on the LHS of the lights switch/module, awkward to get to for someone like me with fat fingers but achievable. I mounted the controller just in front of the LHS taillights, wires supplied reached the positive on the battery (which was the farthest connection point). There was one minor problem, it was mentioned earlier in this discussion about the colours of the wires in the Holden loom, I found the plug but the two wires were blue and the other black/white tracer, according to an earlier post the black one was quoted as purple (Gottavecalaisv). The blue wire is definitely for the trailer brakes but the black one doesn't have 12v on it when the brake lights are on. It is only a fairly light wire, that would suggest it is for data(can bus), so does the Redarc accept Can-bus?
I have come to a halt, I will have to chase info tomorrow. The controller, the extension cable and the remote head are all installed, just waiting to find out about this wire before I connect and power it up.