Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ELM 327 OBD II bought on ebay - not working. Anyone have one of these?

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
I bought an OBDII diagnostics connector from Ebay - eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

I've loaded the software, and when I plug it in, the software on the PC talks to the scanner OK, but when I plug it into the car, the scanner briefly runs through the comms LEDs (ie all of the Rx and Tx LEDs flash, then go out except for the power LED), and the software reports that the comms fail with the car.

Does anyone have one of these that can assist, or offer any help?

any help or tips would be much appreciated,

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
Sorry dude, but i have to laugh hard. Spend that kinda money and expect it to work. If you have a look in his negative feedbacks alot of the same item are faulty

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
What software are you using? Is the car switched on. Have you checked that the communication protocol in the software is set on ELM327?

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
i don't see any GMH cars listed in the specs for that device.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I have one but am yet to test it... Which software did you try? If I remember I can try mine when I get home tonight.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
I have the exact same model, and have had no problems with it...
(I just cleared some DTC codes set by my new exhaust)

I remember though that I had to set the baud rate for the USB to Serial driver to work at at different baud rate to the 9600 one set.
(Using Windows XP).

Also a lot of the software will only support the old 9600 Baud rate. (The newer V1.3 and onwards) ELM chipsets work at a faster baudrate.
There are two different free ware software that works with this model. (The software needs to allow configuration of the baud rate).
I will find this out for you sometime tonight, when I get home from work.

Also, one more obvious thing, Im sure you have tried this already, the Ignition needs to be On for the BUS to be active.

Will let you know the extra information soon....

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
If you by chance have a Nokia phone, there is excellent software called "OBDscope".

No computer required. With my phone and elm327 bt i regularly scan and diagnose my sisters sv6. Also has on board logging and realtime configurable gauges and dasboard.

Can read every protocol from iso to can so works on all obd2 vehicles.

Does not read aldl for vs's though.

Edit: the software is $15. Well worth it.

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
Thnaks for all of the responses. Answers from top to bottom.

Krisp - glad I could spend so little to make you laugh hard ;) Yes, it's cheap, but OBDII is an open architecture which makes it easy to design and build interfaces to. It's considerably cheaper than the $500 odd I paid for the Nissan proprietary Consult for my TT Zed - lots of money, but worth it after all the work I've done, and time and money I've saved by having it. I also noted that others on the Just Commodores forum had bought the identical unit, and were able to use it before I purchased one.

VRCALAISS - what does the VE OBD protocol do that's not OBDII standard?

Jarp, have tried EasyOBDII V2.2 and ScanTool V1.13, both of which came with the interface. Yes, the car is switched on, and yes, the software can speak to the interface. It's the interface that isn't speaking to the car. It looks like it handshakes (some flashing of LEDS) when I first plug it in to the car, then stops, with only the red power LED on. The EasyOBD software reports " PC Communication Port OK", and "Interface Communication Failure - Check Connections and Power".

ivabiggen, OBDII is meant to be a worldwide standard open source protocol. Its specific intention is to make every vehicle talk the same language, use the same fault codes, and use the same plug type. If a car is OBDII, then the interface should work.

StoneX - wouold be interested in how yours works

Zerone-V, from memory, the only options the software has is 9600 and 38400. I didn't try the faster one, as usually any handshake, if it's going to work, will work on the lowest baud rate. Thanks in advance for any extra info you may be able to provide.

BowTie, that sounds like a good package. I've got the serial (USB) version of the ELM327 - sounds like you've got a bluetooth version?

Thanks again everyone for your responses.

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Ok, i get it now. Yeh mine is bluetooth so i can watch the voltage while camping/fishn with the stereo on.

Your issue is definately an issue with your pc config. Essentially the software establishes a link via a COM port in your device manager. When you first connect the serial cable, windows pnp will auto configure a COM port for the device. You have to make sure the serial cable COM port is set to 9600 baud and copy the port number, 1-8 usually, to the software config page and set the right path. Eg, com3 9600baud.

Now, if you cant find your serial/com config in device manager, then you will need to go into your bios and make sure your serial port is enabled.

This was a daily procedure before usb was released to the public.

Your device works. It's just configuring serial connections can be tricky.