Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Emergency low speed ABS or Brake question

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
It may be me, or it may be how the ABS works, but I have noticed the Calais has a very unusual response from the brake application in a low speed urgent/emergency braking situation.

So let me attempt to describe what's happening so you guys can advise me whether it is an issue or not.

Senario A = slow down - start driving around a small roundabout so possibly 25kph or less, car fails to give way & I stand on the brakes.....

Senario B = I go to pull out of "t" intersection, when I see car hurtling towards me cause I didn't see him early enough. I go, then stop suddenly.....

When in one of the above type senarios I get what I describe as a high / hard pedal accompanied by a very poor braking response from the car. I have had this a few times now. The car does stop & I haven't hit anything but it's quite weird. I would have expected the car to stop way better or get some ABS kaachink kaachink kaachink feedback on the pedal ?????

Does this pedal / braking response sound familiar to others ???

Advice or opinions welcomed

Last edited:

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
theses cars also have EBD witch basicly takes over in emergancy breaking and maintains maxamum pressure to each wheel when it detects panic brakeing the abs only kicks in above a certin speed. as to the brakeing efficency it would be hard to comment with out being there

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok that may explain what's happening. The sensation is very strange & way different to the VT Calais I had before ???? Thanks for the reponse

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok so does everyone else feel this or not ? or is it just me ????????????????

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
ABS in an emergency stop should feel pretty much like it always has... The ESP during a swerve and a stop or hard braking in a corner will feel different.

My advice is to go to a long straight lonely bit of 100km/hr road where you can see for miles in both directions. Plant you foot on the break in a straight line and see what it feels like.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
hi OP, i had a similar experience but all worked as it should.

i was coming through a roundabout after accelarating from a stationary position about a month ago and some old gray haired guy in a camry cam straight out in front of me half way around. in slamming on the brakes mid corner both ESP and ABS activated straight away. i got the shudder of the ABS through the brake pedal and steering wheel, and the car tucked in nice and straight and came to stop without losing it mid corner. missed the guy by an inch (well it felt like an inch, I dont know how I didnt hit him).

but I wouldnt describe it as you have in your examples. pedal was hard (due to the abs taking over), but not high.... and braking response was terrific, not "very poor" as you described. if you have doubts as to whether your ABS/ESP systems are working correctly, I'd get them checked out. very hard for folks here to be able to tell you whether yours is working right without driving the car themselves. is the car under warranty? even if it is, maybe take to a 3rd party for a independant report.... good ammo to have just in case dealer couldnt be stuffed working on it until after warranty clicks over.

Last edited:

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Great thanks for the excellent feedback. Car is out of warranty. I will get it checked anyway. Cheers Guys